Sunday, November 28, 2010

Willie

Early this afternoon, D-Man and I went to Robinson Preserve to enjoy the 3.8 mile loop. It's such a beautiful trail. D-Man rides his bike and I do a power walk.

It's a well-traveled path, and many people bring their dogs. D-Man always pauses to ask if he can pet each dog, and most people are happy to stop for a meet and greet.

We were maybe half a mile from the parking lot on the return loop when we encountered an elderly woman who was walking a small long-haired dog that looked like it was a perfect match for her. Little dogs usually aren't my thing, but something about this guy told me he had quite a story behind him.

D-Man approached with his hand outstretched, inquiring if it was okay to say hello.

"Why yes," she said. "But he's shy."

"Someone who was very mean to him used to own him. I've had Willie for a couple of years now, and he's starting to trust again. "

Willie sniffed D-Man's hand and then ran back behind the woman, darting between her feet.

"I can't understand people who get dogs just to hurt them," she continued.

As we turned to continue down the trail, we heard the woman say, "Willie is my best friend."

Nearly 12 years ago, I found my Flanders on the street. She was living under an abandoned cottage near my office building. A large cut ran down her head, as if she had squeezed underneath a chain link fence trying to get out of a bad situation. I fed her for 3 weeks before she would come anywhere near me.

I hate to imagine how she began her life, but I feel like we were destined to find each other. She's one of the greatest parts of each day, always such a comfort to me.

Of course I thought of this blessing when I met Willie and his owner. They were destined to find each other, and this connection between human and animal is one that only some will understand.

8 comments:

injaynesworld said...

I cannot imagine my life without my animals. I never been without a pet in my entire adult life. Most have been ones who found me. I'm happy your darling Flanders found such a loving home.

KB said...

A sweet story and a nice picture. The dog-human connection is very special. A researcher who has made an entire career working out how dogs "think" says they use humans to help them get what they want out of life. So you see it's truly mutual.

M L Jassy said...

Looks like a grand place for an afternoon's perambulation. I'm glad Flanders finally trusted you.

nursemyra said...

Friends of mine rescued a dog from death row at the pound. she was incredibly skinny when they first brought her home, so sad to think of someone deliberately starving an animal. Now she's a normal sized happy little dog with two adoring owners. some stories do have a happy ending don't they?

Liz Mays said...

I'm so glad that animals have been able to find loving homes, but I see why they'd be skittish for a long time afterward. I love what she said about Willie as you were moving away.

Mr. Charleston said...

Sweet story. I've got two shelter dogs.

Only a couple of days left in your post-a-day crusade. Gotta hand it to you.

SuziCate said...

It is a wonderful connection...you're right that only those who have it understand it.

Marvin said...

So true!