Monday, November 8, 2010

Am I 10 Days Older Than Water?

Source: Some MTV Image That Popped
Up When I Binged "Justin Bever"..I mean
"Beiber"
How did we get here so fast?  Really, less than a month until Thanksgiving? I must be aging too rapidly because time is flying in a way that it's never seemed to pass before.


In fact, I'm so old that when I attempted to make fun of Justin Beiber for having 4 year old groupies recently, I got my behind handed to me (deservedly) for calling him Justin Bever. What the hell do I know?  Just that I am guessing he'll have a few good years with the 4 year old fans, move on to become a creepy older teenager and will be addicted to drugs or alcohol by the time he's 23. Isn't that terrible of me? Yes, it is. Please, Justin Whatever, prove me wrong. You really do seem like a nice boy.

I hate being so cynical about some things, and I know it's partly a feature of age. It's not a good way to be. I'm less cynical than many, but with all the craziness and creeps out there in the world, sometimes it's hard to come to terms with being as hopeful as I should be.


It drove me nuts as a kid to hear adults tell me that "I'd understand when I got a little experience around my belt," Or "Wouldn't it be nice to feel so trusting again?"

Now, as an evil adult, I catch myself telling those same things to D-Man on occasion.

The truth is, young people are often much more equipped to deal with creative solutions to challenges because they aren't weighted by all the experience of "We tried that before."

Part of what I have to come to terms with is that, in my current state, I've gotten too old in many ways. I'm 10 days older than water, so old I owe Jesus $5.

Hopefully this elderly stance is reversible. I'm still waiting to acquire that perfect mix of having the necessary adult survival skills while holding on to the things that make kids so special in their ability to hope and help. What's the secret to that?

1 comment:

injaynesworld said...

I was of the generation that was warned not to trust anyone over 30. When I turned 30 I stayed in bed, drunk for a week. Now I've morphed into one of those people who say "Youth is wasted on the young."

Yep. I'm old.