Saturday, November 13, 2010

What Would You Do?

The fam has watched a couple versions of What Would You Do? It's a "candid camera" sort of show with actors in very public, well-traveled places who perform certain things like...
  • Very obviously stealing a bike in a park by sawing through the lock/chain.
  • Trying to take advantage of (and take home) a very inebriated young woman in a bar.
  • Harassing an overweight woman and her daughter with a grocery cart full of unhealthy, sugary foods.
It's interesting to see who intervenes by directly confronting the offenders, who walks on and who stops to consider getting involved but turns away in the end. It's also interesting to see how reactions differ when the race of the actors or the age of the actors is changed.

As a pretty vocal and opinionated woman myself, I don't usually have a problem speaking my mind. People who are unfairly treated or who are at risk for being taken advantage of are naturally compelling.

But I'll admit that in certain situations, I'm more likely to call someone like the police or a store manager. I totally get it that I could end up in a really scary situation myself if I insert myself with a stranger who could easily be nuts or drugged out.

How do you react in these situations? Is it easier for you to speak up if others are there to support you? How far are you willing to go if it looks like your own safety could be in danger?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's EXACTLY why I carry a weapon. ;-) Though if it was a TV show, I think they would stop their scenario immediately if one of the participants pulled a gun. One hopes, anyway.

M L Jassy said...

Some people see me as a sensible sort of Burger. Me, I like the occasional opportunity to practise my Kung Fu.

Mr. Charleston said...

This is exactly why I refused to follow an ex to New York city. I'm a country boy. I get involved. And is some places, that means you get dead.

injaynesworld said...

I don't really know what I'd do having never been face with anything like that, but it an animal was involved and being abused or endangered I'm pretty sure I would act first and think about it later.

Erica@PLRH said...

Confrontations scare me a little just because I don't always know what the other person would do. That's why I usually try to find someone with more authority or bigger huevos than me.