Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dear Metro PCS:

You've been pretty good to me. I mean where else can I get unlimited everything for 2 people for $110 a month with no contract? Although it's no secret that your phones are really crappy and don't really have the features I want, it's been a good trade off. Technically, I don't really need all those features.

I have to admit though, Metro PCS, that I was pretty annoyed about what happened this weekend when one of our mutual friends in India gave me a fax number instead of a phone number when I called directory assistance.

See, I asked for the charge to be removed and I was literally transferred to 5 different people until I was finally disconnected. This was after I spent 10 minutes talking to an auto-mamma trying to reach a real life Indian.

It's not that I totally love spending time shouting at your sweet sounding auto service.  But when I've said the word "CUSTOMER SERVICE" and "REPRESENTATIVE" and "AGENT" 39 times and keep hearing a female RoboCop say "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding you," a plethora of four letter words start coming out of the woodwork. 

It's not very professional of me, I know, but it's just so frustrating to have you purposely make it difficult to contact a living human being. But again, Metro, I'm getting it now. That's what's up with the cheap rates.

So the Number Three person you transferred me to (after all the auto drama) told me that in order for you to help me, I needed to recite some pass code I created 2 years ago when I first signed up for Metro PCS. Sorry, I didn't remember that. Later, after yet another person helped me cut through 98 layers of security to get the pass code, I was transferred again. 

Number Four argued with me about the charge insisting that it was "only fifty cents."   Wait...did I really hear that?  It must have been a joke.  After all, after investing half of my afternoon meeting all of your associates--both real and computer generated--it's clearly the principle of the whole thing. By the time I was finished, I would have gladly paid YOU fifty cents an hour for the time remaining before I get an iPhone if you would just stop passing me around.

I'm ashamed to admit, Metro, that you won. Basically, you totally wore me out. After speaking briefly with Number Five, holding for what seemed like an eternity and then realizing no one was on the other end of the call, I gave up. 

Thanks for clarifying why the service is so cheap. I appreciate knowing the back story. Now, what would I give to have a recording of my dialogue with your auto service.

10 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I encountered that thing recently where they couldn't recognize my voice and I was infuriated!

Erica@PLRH said...

I can't promise you that AT&T will be any better. I've had run-ins with them in the past. Maybe we should both wait until Verizon carries the iPhone.

ballast photography said...

Oh, my...how frustrating!! I've had similar conversations with the "On Star" system in my van. Grrr...

M L Jassy said...

We may as well all move to India.

nursemyra said...

I haven't got the time or patience to hang on the phone for that long - nor the principles I suspect

Mr. Charleston said...

$110 freaking dollars a month AIN'T cheap! It's a *$#@! ripoff. They've got us by the shorts and they ain't gonna let go. Altogether, my landline, cellphone, internet and cable TV cost me in the neighborhood of $350 a month. If I had only me to satisfy, I would bundle the whole mess into one $60 a month internet connection.

Anonymous said...

Verizon rules the world. Join usss... join usss....

Audubon Ron said...

I know, I reach my "pain threshold" w/customer services all over the world. Try HughesNet. For an internet service it has THE worst website I ever saw.

The real reason unemployment is so high - Monster.com sucks.

Unknown said...

Sheesh. I guess that 50 cents is how they make their money. When you do that for millions of customers, it adds up.

injaynesworld said...

Well, see... now you understand my frustration with the cable guy. When I call any robo-answered number, I just keep pressing zero until it messes with their system and I finally get a live person. Of course, whether or not that live person speaks English is another whole matter...