Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Presidential Turkey Pardon: I Don't Get It

No this isn't mine. It's owned by Alex Wong/Getty Images.
My inability to understand the Presidential Turkey Pardon each year has nothing to do with the fact that I've been a vegetarian for 17 years--honest.

But really?  It's kind of like the Free Willy syndrome. All those cute little kids and sympathetic adults of all ages feeling sorry for Willy, petitioning to free him and then spending a vacation day at SeaWorld.

I've never seen Obama read a speech, but he was reading that turkey proclamation today. I could just imagine the inner thoughts, "Holy CRAP, do I actually have to do this? There are a few other pressing things, just a few, that I should probably be taking care of."

The close up shots of him stroking the turkey were especially entertaining for me. It's like WTF? Enjoy that turkey dinner.

I'm going to feast on my Tofurkey tomorrow and of course, all of the carb-laden sides. The sides are pretty good.

Meanwhile, just know my deepest feelings about this pardon. It's stupid. I mean, maybe not for the sole turkey who gets to walk.

5 comments:

SuziCate said...

I've always been baffled about that as well.

Mr. Charleston said...

These sort of things used to be funny. You know like, "How much is that doggy in the window" type stuff. But you had better enjoy it while you can. If the Teabaggers win the office you can bet the president will cut the Turkey's head off, while smiling for the camera.

M L Jassy said...

Obama does look a bit stressed in the photo. Perhaps he's thinking, "if only I could fed.ex this turkey to the starving people of North Korea..."

Arts web show said...

Lol, perhaps its like in the roman times when they freed a criminal at passover.
Or was that jous made up for.
'life of brian'

Anonymous said...

Our former boss sent out an unusually funny email joke recently on this subject...something like a nasty parrot is mouthing off at its owner so badly that he was put into a freezer to shut him up. When the owner takes him out a few minutes later, he is totally apologetic and remorseful. The punchline is something like, "Then the parrot says to the owner, 'I promise to never misbehave again. But tell me, please, what in God's name did the turkey do???'" Cracked me up.