Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Voting Day

I like the sound of "Voting Day" better than "Election Day" because to me, the day is less about who's elected in the end and more about the act of participating in the selection of our next elected representatives. We'll have quite a while after that to endure the task of navigating through the complexities of who we've put in the seat.

I'm less than thrilled with this year's choices and can only hope that those who come into power do their part to make our local and national situation less divisive. It's pretty sickening to watch us all behave like lesser life forms instead of finding a way to work things out for the greater good. There are no easy solutions to the crappy and complex situations that have been a long time in the making--way longer than the past 2 years.

I heard someone hypothesizing the other day about the nastiness of the race between Rick Scott and Alex Sink, our two contenders for governor of Florida. I'm hearing that many undecided voters won't go to the polls at all now because they are so repulsed by the ugliness of both campaigns.

It's true: there's such an abundance of disgusting commercials by each of the opposing candidates, you have no idea about their credentials or their real stances on issues. Yeah. Welcome to politics, you say. But don't you think that this year, things are particularly gross?

Choosing between the lesser of two evils (or incompetents) isn't ideal, but at least I have a say in matters with my vote, which counts just as much as anyone else's.  Sometimes we get spoiled and forget that, living in a democracy. I'm doing my best to let the D-Man know you don't get a voice in many other places of the world. Now let's work on better candidates.

8 comments:

Marvin said...

I agree, at this point, I'd vote for Richard Nixon's head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvYm68dOQ4k

Erica@PLRH said...

Oh, I take my right to vote very seriously and therefore don't cast my vote lightly. The Sink/Scott race is a sticky one. We can hope that whoever the winner is the new governor pleasantly surprises us.

And yes, I agree with you... Voting Day sounds better and emphasizes the power that the people have.

Mr. Charleston said...

Good luck with finding better candidates. At this moment, 8:30pm on Tuesday night, it looks like a known crook has bought his way into the governor's mansion. Un-freaking believable.

SuziCate said...

whether it makes a difference or not, at least you voted! I, too, had to choose the lesser of two evils.

M L Jassy said...

Wise words, Gropington. Fortunately I won't be going to the polls anytime soon.

Liz Mays said...

I can not for the life of me figure out why politics is as divisive as it is. My family is so staunchly partisan that it has turned me off of politics completely. They can't see beyond their party line, and get so nasty about the other side. I don't understand it at all!

Uncommon Blonde said...

Yes, voting is an honor and a privilege that too many Americans take for granted. I think it's a total cop out to use the excuse of no good candidates to just sit on the sidelines and let others make the decisions.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, though, I'd take a rags-to-riches self-made criminal capitalist who presided over Medicare fraud, over an incompetent state bureaucrat who lost $24 billion in public employee pension funds. ;-) http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article997578.ece

Relax. Whoever's in power is always a target. The "winners" of a race usually are the losers in the long run. Now we'll have four years of throwing darts at the conservatives. ;-)