Saturday, May 2, 2009

Is a greeting too much to ask?

Hey, jobs are not exactly growing on trees these days. And even if they were, I still think I'd be a little miffed at the current lack of good manners of many people working in retail (who I do have an immense respect for, by the way).

You'd think Lowe's was doing me a huge favor today by allowing me to shop there for soil and mulch. The cashier smacked her lips when she realized she needed to stop watering to ring up my expensive bags of dirt. When she said nothing to greet me, I said "Hey there! How are you today?" Her response "Good."

At the drive thru at Goodwill on Manatee Ave a few weeks ago, my entire drop-off of lightly used goods took place with only one word uttered by the attendant. "Yes." That was in response to my dare-to-ask question, "You take books, don't you?" No "hello," no "thank you," no nothin'.

Is it picky of me to expect places you're either donating to or buying from to train their staff to greet you? Maybe I'm just being silly, but the lack of manners freakin' drives me nuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you got lucky. The goodwill on Fruitville..you literally get "moans" when they realize they have work to do when you bring things in. Such an effort for them to have to deal with your donations. Then you get 5 minutes of them complaining about their workload and how hard life is. Yea, that's what i like listening to.