Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Does the Florida Skunk Ape exist?





Don't challenge me on this one. Inquiring minds are wondering where Gropius gets off with 140+ blog posts and no content on the Skunk Ape.

Obsession with the existence of "theoretical," "mythical," or "legendary" creatures isn't a pastime of mine, but the Florida Skunk Ape is slightly different. The existence of an occult being living nearly close enough to be considered backyard wildlife strikes up the appeal. And for a 2 year period working at a nature center east of the Interstate, I heard my fair share of stories.

The skunk ape is aptly named by its odoriferous hair, soaked in the aroma of the southern swamps of our state. Of course it's a vegetarian, and though rarely seen, an entire museum has been dedicated to its legendary existence. A couple of years ago, Gropius organized an outing to the Florida Skunk Ape Research Headquarters in Ochopee, Florida--located in the heart of the Everglades. As you can see from the pics, it's a world class operation.
During a tour through the Thousand Islands with an Everglades National Park Ranger the following day, we learned that the folks who operate the headquarters are not exactly considered friends of the environment. Big shocker. Someone there allegedly dressed up in a Skunk Ape outfit and ran through a campground, scaring the daylights out of a few kids and their parents. One might ask if we really have to resort to these measures, given the fact that the creature is...er um...real.
(As an aside, I'll say that the collection of exotic snakes at the headquarters were interesting. But even more interesting was the number of large glass cages without lids... The escaped reptiles are most likely the ones we're seeing on the news, responsible for breeding and eating alligators.)
Rumor has it that the Myakka area is home to a one armed Skunk Ape. How did it loose the arm? Does it have a mate? How can I meet it? Please, someone provide me with answers. The suspense is killing me.

6 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

You. Are. So. Weird.

Mixed Reflections said...

Unfortunately, PLRH, you have not seen the half of it. Where is LHB? Didn't hear back today.

Anonymous said...

Your odd sense of humor makes me wish I lived back in SRQ. But I know that one day, you'll move back to Charlotte.

Anonymous said...

I think that the real skunk ape is metaphorical. He lives within each of us. Therefore, he is a god-like creature. Only some of us are more aromatic than others and more ape-like in our behavior. That makes us more godly too, don't you think? I know that I aspire to this greatness in my everyday life. Some day, I will show you too.

Anonymous said...

Susie, I have showed you photos of me with the skunk ape? Do you doubt?

Uncommon Blonde said...

Is this thing real? Real or not, there is no way I will ever visit a place with no lids on the cages. Eww!