Sunday, May 17, 2009

Blind Date with a Blogger

Some assert that social media contributes to the emerging trend of "impersonal," driving conversations of all kinds to short blurbs on a public domain instead of face to face at a coffee shop. But without it, many coffee shop conversations would not take place, because you simply would not have met the person sitting opposite of you.

Last night I had a "blind date" of sorts with a blogger. Nope, it wasn't like that. But it was a great exploratory connection of the friendship kind. Let me explain.

I started following the Pine Lakes Redhead blog after catching a few of her comments on Uncommon Blonde. PLRH has become a frequent commenter on Gropius and we've laughed at our similarities. Who is PLRH? Like some of the anonoymous comment posters, I wasn't sure. Didn't even know if she lived here in Sarasota/ Bradentucky.

Strangely, I was approached by a friend at a meeting who reported that her co-worker was discussing a blog that she believed to be mine. I didn't recognize her name but immediately perked up when "Pine Lakes Redhead" was introduced into the conversation.

We started talking about all of us getting together, but only the two blogging girls were available. So we met last night for sushi, and what a delight! We have music, fishing-obsessed husbands, kids of the same age, and a few other more surprising life details in common...and for the love of Pete, we're both redheads. Gropius thoroughly enjoyed herself. Next time, we'll have to introduce the fams.

Very nice to meet you, Pine Lakes Redhead. And thanks for the heads up about snakes. I'll be sure to stage something exciting next time!

1 comment:

Erica@PLRH said...

Did I not hit post the first time?

I wrote this lovely post about how glad I was that we finally met, your hubby doesn't have to worry about me being a stalker, and the boys are on board for the next social meet.

I also warned that if snakes are involved, we go our separate ways!