Thursday, April 8, 2010

This Is a Big Sign

Can you read it?

That's right, it says "SLOW SPEED."  Brilliant! 

Many argue that these signs are strategically placed in front of large waterfront homes so their owners don't have to dabble in the noise of honkey fishermen's boats going past with their loud motors. I don't doubt that's true in some instances.

But the law is the law, people. The manatee is a protected species for good reason. If you're not in Florida, you might not know it, but soooo many boaters are not responsible--we see them navigating through no wake or minimal wake zones full steam ahead. My family includes boaters and fisherman, so I know that some of them are careful, law abiding citizens. 

The ones who aren't just kill me. I only wish there was more active enforcement. There were 97 manatee deaths caused by watercraft in 2009 in Florida, according to the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The signs are big, people, but your brains, evidently, are not. Please learn to read.

7 comments:

M L Jassy said...

The Australian manatee is known as the 'dugong' as named, fished and eaten by the Aboriginal folk of the northern seas. Awesome creatures.

Marvin said...

I think we should help the manatees by genetically engineering them to grow narwhal horns. Then it will be a fairer fight.

Until then, better law enforcement would be good. If they can put cameras on lampposts, they can put them on pilings in the channel, and catch speeders.

Erica@PLRH said...

I love Marvin's suggestion! Awesome!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

It's always so sad to see pics of the damage done by the boats.

Anonymous said...

Ok, let me try to comment again...first I didn't type my word veri correctly then I didn't own my identity, must've been another typo. Anyway, ninety-seven is a lot! Thanks for educating us and hopefully the boat owners will take it a bit slower.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I agree, people should read signs.

We have signs all over Wyoming that say that talking on a cell phone while driving is prohibited. Yet I pass tons of people yapping on their phones while driving. Ugh.

hubby said...

How about a big sign under the big slow down sign that says" Manatees the most numerous endangered species in Florida". I like the idea of fishing for them though, we should take an idea from are friends down under. Its way to easy to get a manatee zone sign. I have two and we live 2 miles from the water. How about " NO WAKE ZONE MOVING SPEED BUMPS IN WATER"