Thursday, April 22, 2010

Big and Corny vs. Big and Boring

Even in a down economy, our favorite brands are spending big money on promotion. It's a fact of life--they have to do it. Still, many of them rely on big budgets for boring, just to keep things "safe."

I'll give a gold star to the company that came up with this catchy dance number for "Turn the Tub Around," a new ad campaign for I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. It's so corny, but the guy dancers are hilarious. The effort and the humor is enough to make me want to reach for it on the shelf instead of my typical choice.  And it sticks.

It's not the most genius thing I've ever seen, but I'll give 'em an "A" for effort in the corny category--certainly better than boring. What do you think?

10 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I smiled through that whole thing. Loved it and you bet it works. It was so much fun!

Erica@PLRH said...

You're right, that is BIG corny!

Mr. Charleston said...

Isn't this a take-off on a Michael Jackson routine?

injaynesworld said...

It a Gloria Estefan song, Mr. Charleston, and that is one brilliant ad campaign. I hadn't seen it. Thanks for the post. What fun!

KB said...

Livlier and more interesting than the run-of-the-mill commercials that become super boring by repeating 8 times an hour when I'm watching a ball game.

I was much more impressed by the woman when I saw her doing her quick-change routine at Circus Sarasota, even though she didn't have "Le Clerks" dancing with her.

Gina said...

definitely entertaining... :)

M L Jassy said...

You know, I used to be so militantly anti-advertising that I would not even watch the video ... nothing personal, at this juncture I will simply reserve judgement.

Poindexter said...

well, um, A for imagination and creativity.

nursemyra said...

Is that Megan Mullally? I liked her in Will and Grace but the ad sucks. Sorry, Gropius, don't be hating me darlin'

Marvin said...

OMG, Miami Sound Machine are spinning in their graves. If they were dead, of course, which they aren't.