Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Big Questions of Perspective

It's true that the ultimate goal on my life list is to deliver any kindness and assistance to the people and creatures that come across my path. I really want to make a difference. I don't always succeed in that, but that's the idea.

I get tired. I think too often of myself when I don't mean to. And I don't always keep what counts in perspective.

At the end of every day, these are the Big Questions that float through my mind obsessively as I try to coast into sleep...
  • Did I do the most I could do today?
  • Did I hurt anyone unintentionally or out of frustration?
  • What do I wish I could do more of?
  • What scared me or bothered me and why did it?  What part of ego was this associated with?  How can I kill it?
We see ourselves differently than others see us.  I delight in what I can discern of myself and hate it that there are answers difficult to find when I'm not looking at myself from the outside.

I'm lucky to have some good friends in my life who help me out with the Big Questions and pave the road to seeing myself as I really am. I'll take the good news and the bad, all in hopes of becoming something greater.

Happy Easter!

12 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I think I'd probably grow a lot more as a person if I sat back and thought about some of this too.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I know what you mean about wanting to really be able to see yourself the way others see us... I think it's one thign that can never really be achieved.

KB said...

As long ago as 1786 Scottish Poet Robert Burns expressed the same wish in his poem "To a Louse".

"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion!"

But I think no two people see us exactly the same way, and we can't really conform to everyone's view of what we should be or how we should handle things.

You have a good mind and high ethics developed from a lifetime of experience.
Your own internal principles are the best guideposts for your life.

Don't be overly concerned about how others see you.You're a good human being in the fullest sense of those words.So just decide what you want as a destination in this universe and set out for it, confident in the knowledge that by doing good for yourself you're also doing the very best for the rest of the world.

M L Jassy said...

I like thinking self-reflectively. You are leading the way in that field. I'm deciding to only deal with medium-sized questions of perspective for the next fortnight of school holidays ... happy Egg n Bunny times.

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you too! Very good post.

injaynesworld said...

This goes along with something I've been thinking about lately. A true democracy requires that there be a balance between individual rights and community responsibility. It seems that for too long we've been weighing in way too heavily on the side of "Me, me, me..." leading to a real estrangement from others and our responsibility toward others. Could be the reason for a lot of the mess we're in now.

Thanks for writing such a thought-provoking post.

Hope you had a love Easter.

Jayne

Anonymous said...

Good reflective questions. It's important to be a person that you can look at in the mirror and a person that isn't filled with guilt that keeps them awake at night.

Marvin said...

I totally agree - life is a school. Each soul has the unique opportunity to be here, to learn from the experience of life on this planet. If people don't learn, then usually they just have to come back and repeat the experiences until they DO learn from it. Which gets tiresome. ;-)

Be all you can be, basically.

Marvin said...

And by the way, about your being grounded (because you WEREN'T being the best person you can be, ha), MY parents learned quickly that it did no good to ground me, because I liked it. So they learned not to bother, and I learned to make sure that they remained ignorant of the groundable offenses that I committed.

Poindexter said...

blessings to you! you clearly have a generous heart, a gentle spirit and walk through the world seeking to be a friend. You enrich my world. Thanks.

Kenton and Rebecca Whitman said...

We're excited to have discovered your blog! These are incredible questions to be asking yourself -- what a world we'd live in if this was the 'norm'! We're so pleased to see a focus that extends out to touch the people and the world around us. Bravo! =)

Michaela said...

I like the way you write and think...
YOU ARE making a difference! Just by the way you are being YOU! ;-)
I think that is the hardest thing in life, being simply YOU. Not many are anymore these days...