Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Big Flight

Call me a nerd, but the miracles of migration astound me anew everytime I think about them. Can you believe that delicate Monarch butterflies flutter 2,500 miles? And that birds of all kinds fly from Canada to South America every year for the winter and then back to their summer nesting grounds?  I find it incredible.

This time of year in Florida, we love our migrating birds. They stop here to refuel before continuing on journeys to their northern homes. Last weekend at Hillsborough River State Park (left) near Tampa, I saw three such species I had never seen before: a Prothonatary warbler, a Blue-headed vireo, and a Hermit thrush. 

This week I'm in east-central Florida visiting my mother and father. Here's a Gray Catbird I photographed at Smyrna Dunes Park on a walk with my mother Thursday morning.  He was stocking up--unfortunately with exotic Brazilian Pepper berries--before headed on his big flight. Like the Blue-headed vireo and Hermit thrush, some of them hang out in Florida all winter.

They make a cat-like noise. Check out her dark gray cap and rufous-colored behind. So cute.





Just when I'm considering how daunting a task can be or how I might lose my way, I find inspiration in the Big Flight made twice per year by these amazing birds. Somehow they're guided by a force and a knowledge that seems so much bigger than what is contained in a bird brain.

9 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Your nerdiness is one of your many endearing qualities. Your bird spotting abilities still amaze me. That's a cute little cat bird.
I've never understood how those Monarch butterlies make that trip.

Gina said...

migrating animals amaze me... butterflies, birds, whales... great photos!

injaynesworld said...

It used to be that at a certain time of year a huge, loud flock of Canadian geese would pass overhead. I loved them and miss them. Guess they're taking a different route now. We still get the Monarchs, though. I live on a lavender farm and one year they decided to just hang out for about a month. It was amazing. Nature's gifts are the best gifts.

nursemyra said...

I've never heard of roufas-coloured before.

Migration makes me think of the sad story of the demise of the passenger pigeon

Anonymous said...

The migration amazes me as well. My parents have certains birds that come apparently at certains times of the year and they get so exctied waiting for them to pass through. Of course, they have all the feeders ready in anticipation each time.

Leah said...

I love watching migrating birds... we also have a lot here especially when it is winter in the other side of the world.

Imagine the distance they traveled just to be able to live in someplace warm for a short time.

Happy Easter! xoxo

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

No, I really can't believe how any f those cross countries flying birds or butterflies or whatnot do that. This is just incredible! Love those birdy pics :)

P.S. I'm not a Taurus though, I'm a Saggitarius!

Liz Mays said...

They're so beautiful! That reminds me to put out my hummingbird feeder again. They'll be back before long!

Marvin said...

You know so much about birds! And you're such a good photog.

Birds use the planet's magnetic field, often, to navigate. I don't know how the butterflies do it. Probably the same.