Friday, April 16, 2010

I Wish I Was Big

"Big" was a classic movie in ways. It really made you think...do I really want to be at a different stage of life? And laugh. Whether you watched it as a young larvae, wanting to be a grown-up, or if you were reflecting back on your youth, it was fabulous. ...And makes you realize that sometimes rushing things just isn't "all that"...nor is wishing you were once again a middle school pimply kid emerging into your first taste of self.

I've discovered, by the way, that wishing for a later stage in life--one in which you have more free time (are retired), or don't have periods anymore, etc.-- can continue until you're in the grave, wishing you didn't wish your life away.




I'm so guilty of wishing the week would more quickly pass, yielding the two day weekend. If I keep this up, I'm missing out on a hell of a lot of good time.

P.S. Tom Hanks, though he has been totally overexposed, has incredible talent. Agree?

10 comments:

Mr. Charleston said...

This post reminds me of one of my favorite sayings from a local troubadour and story-teller, Gamble Rogers: Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

Agree about Hanks. Apart from Joe Vs. the Volcano, everything he does is outstanding.

nursemyra said...

Meh... I'm not such a fan of Mr Hanks

injaynesworld said...

This movie is timeless and Hanks is one of my very favorites in everything he does. Did you ever see "Charlie Wilson's War?"

Living in the moment shouldn't be so difficult, but the temptation to be elsewhere in our heads is always there, isn't it.

Marvin said...

You are cheating with THIS "big" post. ;-)

Yes, Tom Hanks is very talented. At least he makes war movies that people WANT to watch, where America isn't the bad guy.

I really hated "Castaway." I thought Wilson the volleyball deserved an oscar, though.

KB said...

BIG was a real trip for me. I loved the way it poked holes in our serious adult pretensions. The sex scenes were great. (Similar to those in Being There with Peter Sellers, another favorite).

Tom Hanks really did get to be big.
Can't say I liked every film along the way but I've admired his talent in every case.

bernthis said...

I often wish to be younger. of course, I live in L.A. who doesnt? but lately I find I'm more content to be older with the exceptions of the skin on my face which is a much more wrinkled canvas.

Anonymous said...

It is sad isn't it that we really do sorta wish our lives away...and in reality it is gone before you know it. I've always thought Tom Hanks rocked.

Jack Steiner said...

Tom Hanks has always been one of my favorite actors.

M L Jassy said...

That's my goal for the year, to live in the moment and not yearn too obsessively for trips to the nearest city! So I'm trying to not be bigger than my bloggy-boots.

'Splash' was a great movie about a girl transformed and 'Big' was a fun movie about a boy transformed. Oddly, I didn't find Hanks' role in Philadelphia convincing, but that could have been the script?

ballast photography said...

I love Big, I love Tom Hanks, and I am a pretty big fan of your vast thoughts on the whole subject of--as my mom used to say-- wishing your life away. (I was going to call your thoughts "big" too, but just couldn't bring myself to use the word three times--even for emphasis lol)cle