Sunday, April 25, 2010

Big Win

I'll preface this post by admitting that for most of my life I a.) hated sports, both playing and watching them; b.) suck at playing any sport; and c.) knew about 2 professional athletes by name.

For whatever reason, that all changed the year the Tampa Bay Rays made it to the World Series. I just clung on to them---the players are all young, (seemingly) wholesome, so eager to win, and extremely likeable. Husband even has a man crush on one of them. So I learned all of their names, the funny little things each of them does while pitching or hitting, and I started loving the game of baseball. It helped tremendously that the Rays team has a strong commitment to community service and actively raises money for and participates in charitable service all over our bay area.

Going to baseball games has become an activity everyone in the fam can enjoy.  Last night we had a blast at our first game of the season, and the boys made us proud with a 9-3 win.


Aren't they adorable? From left: Evan Longoria, Jason Bartlett, Ben Zobrist and Carlos Pena
Oh yes, they also kick serious behind out on the field.

Loved watching catcher Jaso enjoy an interview after the game...especially when he was decked with a ginormous whipped creme pie.




When they win, the Tropicana Dome is lit up orange as a signal of victory.

Here's a shot of that from the inside, while we enjoyed an awesome post-game show from legendary rocker John Fogerty.

And yes, he TOTALLY rocked. He's turning 65 this week, and who would know? His voice, his energy and mastery of the guitar were all impressive in this live show beyond what I could have imagined. He sang basically every Creedence Clearwater Revival hit, left us all wanting more and knowing we witnessed someone who deserved the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame designation for his band in 1993.


Guess what D-Man was doing during much of the game and the show afterward...


Good grief, someone save me.

9 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'd probably be doing that D-man was doing. I'm not big into sports.

Poindexter said...

I LOVE baseball! Tickets to the Astros are too freaking expensive for me. Going to see the Rice Owls is more aligned with my budget. However we do spring for a couple of pro ball games each season. It IS fun! Walking through the stadium is like a magnet pulling me back into history, reminding me that through so many changes in our society, baseball has truly been America's pasttime. Go Rays!

Uncommon Blonde said...

Those teenagers and their texting! Are we really the grown-ups saying these things now? Scares me ...

Erica@PLRH said...

I thought D-Man lost his texting privledges?

Will life ever settle down enough for me to attned a Rays game?

ballast photography said...

He's got his phone back already???

And yes, I think we've had the baseball conversation. Despite our differing allegiances, I think it is awesome that you are into baseball, too. I used to post periodically about baseball, but haven't in awhile. I love a good baseball post!

bernthis said...

I don't watch sports at all and yet when I was 12, I could name every Yankee on the team and was obsessed with watching them. Since then , I could care less

Marvin said...

Baseball is dull on TV but it's great in person. I can't explain why. The players are overpaid and the food usually stinks. I wish they'd get regulated like the NFL. ;-)

Unknown said...

How cool! I love baseball and LOVE John Fogerty. It sounds like the perfect night!

Liz Mays said...

I enjoy a game now and then but if I had to watch it on tv, I'd be texting as well.