Thursday, February 25, 2010

Watchin' Out for Yourself: Women & Safety

So I was trying to be playful with my recent Publix Predator post, spreading the annoyance about a senior widowed grocery store bagger who was over eager for human affection from customers. Turns out, many of you didn't think it was so funny. It's very sad, but very true--we really have to be careful to avoid something terrible happening to us or to someone we love. Husband is always on my case about being more alert, and I should be more vigilent for sure.

Thought I'd post a list of links I found about various safety topics that you can use for yourself or share with your wife, daughters, sons and others in your life. They're not just for women.
  1. How to protect yourself in a parking garage, from the Florida's State Attorney General's office. Some of these tips are unrealistic, like always walking with someone, but most are great reminders. You'll find other tip sheets for self-protection on this page as well.
  2. Warning signs of domestic violence. This is great direction from Safe Place and Rape Crisis Center's website. They're located right here in Sarasota and provide an incredible service for so many women in crisis.
  3. Tips and advice for avoiding dangerous situations outside of your home, an excellent compilation from safetyforwomen.com.
  4. Identity theft face off. This is a cool quiz I found on the Federal Trade Commmission's website that tests your knowledge of identity theft. We've had presentations about this at work, and it's frightening to think of how someone can so easily ruin your credit, charge up all sorts of debt, and you can end up having to pay for it all. If you don't want to play the game, look at this FTC tip sheet for preventing identity theft.
If you have a good source of information about crime prevention as well, or a tip of your own, I hope you'll post a comment and share it!

10 comments:

Leah said...

I will share an experience we had here at home a few months ago. A robber came to my home but good thing my locks were all "Made in the USA" so the poor fellow wasn't able to break-in. The only stuff he got were those in the garage like my kids' shoes and slippers. I reported the case to the police but sadly, our investigation capabilities are still so third world.

That same night, our neighbor was burglarized too but they were not as lucky as I am. They lost their laptops, mobile phones, and other small electrical appliances.

The moral of the story: buy US-made locks and bolts and not rely on those made in China. Oooops, I'm just joking. But there is some truth to it, my neighbor's locks were all from China.

The more serious moral of the story is to be your own security and not rely on the police. That is so true in my country.

Have a great weekend! xoxo

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

All very useful stuff, we should definately be careful! One of the most imporant things is not to be afraid of coming off extra cautious or looking silly - your life is more important than a moment of possible humiliation. Too bad not many people actually understand it. You know what I'm saying? Like someone who woudln't scream when attacked because they're feel ashamed to be so loud in public?

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

@Leah: I'm happy none's injured!! And you were lucky not to have more pricey and important thinsg stolen, I feel bad for your neighbours... the police should've probably just waited at your neighbour's hose after you reported... lol Ok, not funny :)

Anonymous said...

Informative post...good follow up. The predatoe did sound creepy, but I thought your story was funny.

Anonymous said...

All very good information. And very important to remember. Thanks for the reminder!

Uncommon Blonde said...

I thought your story was funny because I know exactly the type you're talking about. However, it's always good to have the info above - you can never be too careful! (thanks for the shout out)

Poindexter said...

excellent reminders. I attended a travel safety awareness recently at work and their suggestions were wonderful. We don't have to wait to become victims. These recommendations are great ways to incorporate safe, empowering behavior into our daily lives. Thank you!

KB said...

Here's something we do in Minnesota to help prevent domestic violence. Perhaps it's national. If not, you can start a movement in your state/country.

By law every trip to a doctor, clinic, or hospital must include the following question in the interview:

"Do you feel safe in your home?"

As far as I can tell our nurses are 100% compliant in applying this law. It is probably on the sheets they use for taking down your information. The question is asked without regard to gender.

We've been doing this for a couple years and though I haven't seen any statistics I have to believe it has helped uncover this hidden epidemic in our society.

Mixed Reflections said...

@Leah, I'm so happy you and your family remained unhurt. Thanks for the tip about the locks. Who would even think they are different? @KB, nice idea for medical professionals.

Marvin said...

I liked Poindexter's point on your other post (which was kind and sensitive and funny, nothing wrong with it at all), where she said that it's wise to set boundaries and not be overly concerned with hurting their feelings. Absolutely correct.

Just in case boundary-setting fails, I carry my Illudium PU-36 Space Modulator everywhere I go. I'm a big believer in self-defence. Yes, avoiding bad situations is of primary importance, but being able to fight your way out of a situation that comes to YOU is also very important. Whether it's with your fists or a gun, women especially should be prepared. A gun is the best equalizer, especially for smaller women. Even the biggest, angriest man can be stopped cold by a well-placed bullet. And women are generally better shots than men, with their better hand-eye coordination. The biggest hurdle is remembering, in that split second decision, that your life is worth more than his. Society teaches women that they have less value than the people around them. It's not true. But it is true that no one else will do a better job of protecting you, than you.