Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Roots

Three hundred. This is the 300th post on Gropius vs. Eddie. We've come a long way. I thought I'd go back to the roots of good 'ole Gropius, for those of you who think "What the hell kind of name is that?" or "Is this a man or a woman writing this blog?" or "Gropey? Sounds like something not so rated G."

So sit back while I share the fairy tale of Gropius with you.

Once upon a time, a little homeless kitty found its way to a friend of mine who seems to be a perpetual bachelor. I believe he has a fear of commitment, though he might argue on this point. It was so pronounced, this fear of commitment, that after having the kitty for three weeks, knowing he would keep it, he still hadn't named it. Because, you know, once you name a pet, it's yours baby.

The two of us were enjoying an architecture exhibit at a local museum, where we were introduced to the work of Walter Gropius. A German architect who taught at Harvard and founded the Bauhaus school and style of modern architecture, he was an interesting character.

  • Me: "Aha! Gropius. It's the perfect name for your cat. It's different. No one can accuse you of being run of the mill. It will spark conversation for sure. And it will force you to do what you know you are doing anyway-keeping him!"
  • Fear-Of-Commitment-Man: "Hmm."
This idea, this "Gropius" idea, went on for another few weeks. All the while a set of mutual friends went about trying to convince him that Eddie would be a better name. "You don't want to be calling this cat Gropey when some chick is over at your house," they argued. "They will think you're perverted."

But for me, it's a real question about whether you want to be unique and exciting or regular and boring. You know? Gropius vs. Eddie. So this blog was birthed partly as a joke. The whole idea was that if I could put this much time and effort trying to convince him to name the cat Gropius, I should win for sure.

It's been a while. The cat is now a man (minus the parts that neutering took care of). His name is Gropius. He's odd, but not too odd. He's not your average gentleman. And here we are at post 300.

I've always been more of a dog person so find it odd that, of my own creation, I refer to myself with the same name as Fear-Of-Commitment-Man's cat. Yes, strange indeed. And there you have it.

17 comments:

Leah said...

Now I know the story behind the name. And you're right, I myself would choose Gropius over Eddie.

Liz Mays said...

I'm really glad you told that story. I think it's a cool name for a cat and I love that it turned into the whole blog title!

f8hasit said...

300 posts?
Congratulations!

And since I wasn't here from the beginning, thank you for filling me in on the title sequence. It's all making sense now...

:-)

Poindexter said...

Excellent story! The cat that had no name then was nearly named Eddie, but in the end received a moniker worthy of his no-doubt urbane sophistication!

Congratulations on 300.
:)

Marvin said...

Congratulations! And a wonderful story.

KB said...

I can't believe it's been 300 posts already. I must have a hundred or more to catch up on. I really enjoyed being reminded of that story.

So what about my stepson who's been married for five years, has two kids, and has had a cat for about eight years that he has never named and refuses to name? With such damning evidence of his lack of commitment do you think we should keep an eye on him in case he decides to bolt away from the whole deal?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 300!! Keep up the great work!

M L Jassy said...

Fanthreehundredtabulous. I remember passing the 300 mark, it's a great feeling. Happy to hear about the aptly named architect of your friend's renewed sense of commitment and care to those more furry and betailed.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Ha, I love this!! Awesome story behind the name of your blog, I would've never thought... :) By the way, I am not into cats either, I'm a dog person too. The only kind of cat I can see msyelf owning and naming is Canadian Sphynx... God I love those! Funny that most of dog-lovers-cat-haters love the breed. The Sphynxes are believed to have more of a dog personality too.

Congrats on reaching 300 posts!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome story...I was wondering who Gropius and Eddie. I assumed Eddie was the hubs, and couldn't figure out HOW you got a nickname like Gropious....oh, the imagination! Thanks for sharing your story. And congrats on 300 posts!

Paul Wynn said...

300th post Wow, time for some catching up to do. I have all weekend. I like back stories to things, it has a deeper meaning to what they're meant to be.

Unknown said...

What a great story! I, too, prefer Gropius to Eddie and I'm so glad to finally know the origins of your blog name! :o)

Congrats on 300 posts!

Erica@PLRH said...

So the cat is named Gropius! Can I still call you Gropey?

Congrats on #300! When did you start?

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Wow, no danger of guessing that one! Great story and 300 posts? Wow! Congrats!

bernthis said...

I bet that guy is on every dating site I've ever been on.

nursemyra said...

I too thought the name referred to you and your husband, thanks for letting us in on the secret

ballast photography said...

I am so glad we cleared this up! I have been puzzling over the name thing for some time, but it just sort of got to the point where I felt funny asking--like that acquaintance you've known for months, but you don't know his name, and now it's waaaay too awkward to ask....

I love this story! Sorry I haven't been around in awhile...hoping to fix that :)