Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cheers to the Green Violin Goddess & Other Musical Acts of Courage

On Saturday, Husband and I attended a Sarasota Orchestra performance that was combined with the Youth Philharmonic program. A 13 year old girl who had been practicing the violin since age 4 stepped on to the stage for her solo, and we were both beside ourselves. Her mastery of control and concentration, coupled with the complicated notes in Beriot's Scene de Ballet, Op. 100 were truly something to behold! I felt proud of her as if she came from my own herd, just watching this young teen in front of a large crowd and leading the orchestra with her grace and command. Husband loved it too.


The thunder of applause and the whistles as this young wonder bowed in her green gown and sparkly headband almost brought tears to my own eyes.

I send out thanks to the young Green Violin Goddess for having the courage to follow her dreams and hope she’ll keep up with them through the trials of high school and college. It’s humbling to think of how much we owe musicians young and old, dead and alive, from every background, all around the world for enriching our lives with the power of music and the experience of live performance.

Even aside from the difficulty of making a living as an artist, it takes courage to make music your professional path. I’m glad the musical legends of today and yesterday did what they did.

As we’ve established before, I’m a supreme and loyal lover of U2 (image at left was on a poster that adorned my walls many thousands of moons ago). I’ll spare you the affectionate testimonials. But outside of U2’s exceptionally branded music and activism, I find myself enjoying a wide variety of what’s been offered in melody through the ages—folk, ska, punk, Celtic, Indian, classical (Debussey is up there for me), opera every now and then, old school rock n’ roll—even a bit of musical bling from a few choice rap legends. I recently discovered Eliza Gilkinson and find that I can listen for hours on end, and the Black Eyed Peas have finally made their way into my musical realm. (I’m so 2000-late on that one.)

Of course the Beatles, Gladys Night, the Drifters and Sam Cooke are held close to the heart, as with so many other artists that comprised 1960’s greatness. These were once new to some and were once “oldies” to others—like me. Now I am finding that music I grew up with in the 80’s is being featured on our local oldies station here. Duran Duran is really considered oldies material? Holy crap. That’s disturbing.

[…Almost as disturbing as 13-year-old stepson’s recent questions: “What’s a record?” followed by “What’s a tape?” I guess that makes me an old freaking lady.]

I’ve seen great live performances, from little known Gainesville college bands playing at the long since gone Covered Dish to Bo Diddley, Sting, Eric Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, LL Cool J, Indigo Girls, Rolling Stones, Dar Williams, etc., etc. [The James Taylor/ Carol King show coming up in June is top on my list…never seen Sweet Baby James live and will love it no doubt!]

As I’ve gotten older, my concert going days have certainly been more limited. But I think I’ll always enjoy the thick air of togetherness that shrouds you at every live show. Maybe it’s the feel of dramatically different people brought together by music, yes?

Who are your musical faves and where have you seen them perform?

11 comments:

Marvin said...

Your stepson should apologize. ;-)

How fun to see such a young virtuoso!

Anonymous said...

I have a huge taste in music. Country, pop, rock, Motown, etc. etc. I've seen a few hundred concerts. This year I started a new blog series called "Legends I've Seen." I'm going to spotlight some of my favorite concerts!

Anonymous said...

The favorites of my college days were Ravi Shankar, Johnny Mathis, The Kingston Trio, Joan Baez, Judy Collins and a few more with solid vocal talents who weren't drowned out by a wall of background instrumentation and percussion. And you think you're old!

One of the odd things about partial deafness, which I have, is that one can not selectively focus on a sound as people with full hearing do. It has to do with neurology and not with hearing aid technology. I cannot pick out the human voice if there's a lot of back ground sound. Sadly this means I have very little appreciation for most of the music that came after Les Paul, who I admired greatly as a performer, introduced the "wall of sound" concept that replaced individual performers with groups backed up by tons of decibels. Old codger that I am, I can't help but think this change in technology also changed the listening audience from afficionados filled with deep respect for emotive vocal talent into active participants with respect only for volume and frenetic showmanship. Guess I'm just an old crab, eh?

I know that not all contemporary music is as I've described. I'm so glad you enjoy Eliza Gilkyson, and probably a number of other representatives of the world of individual performers. Thank God they haven't all been swept away.

Notary sojac

Smokey Stover

Gina said...

Hi - I'm new here - I really like your blog!

nursemyra said...

The best concert I went to was Jeff Buckley at the Phoenician Club in Sydney, about a year before he died

M L Jassy said...

Tiny performers are especially amazing. My 2009 flatmate's teen son played the harp (not virtuosically though - yet!) I will do a music blog post soon. It can be written and talked about endlessly! Helpless U2 tragics unite! Tonight while working I let my tunes go ashuffling and I juked along to Jimmy Hendrinks, Lucinda Williams (car wheels on gravel road) and Slumdog Millionaire - and a sexy Brazilian called Seu Jorge. Makes work so much better...music. Play it the fuck on!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

"It’s humbling to think of how much we owe musicians young and old, dead and alive, from every background, all around the world for enriching our lives with the power of music and the experience of live performance."

I think I've never quite looked at it from this perspective, but I like how you put it! And I laughed at you 2000-late remark regarding the BEP haha :) Your musical preferences are very diversified, which I like. I guess I'm kind of the same, but tend to be more into very modern music... When it comes to more classical pieces I just become really picky and love only selected songs. And I havem't really been to too many live concerts, which is a shame. But I am glad you've seen live so many of your faves!

Anonymous said...

Beatles, Gladys Night, the Drifters and Sam Cooke love these guys! My all time forever favorite which were actually before my time but love those guys is Creedence Clearwater Revival!

Paul Wynn said...

I'm with the new generation but I saw Jay-Z and he was a class act. I heard Britney Spears is a performer, I might want to check her out.

Poindexter said...

We saw Mercury Baroque last Saturday performing Vivaldi. Recently we've seen Sugarland, Matt Nathanson (twice) and Graham Colton. If concerts weren't so outrageously expensive, we'd go more often!

Mixed Reflections said...

What awesome answers!! Love to hear about your love for music as well. Michael, you look like you could show us ALL a good time with your concert going experience.