Sunday, February 7, 2010

Myakka and the Peanut Man

I’m a nature girl. It’s my inspiration. It makes me feel alive--youthful and ancient at once--and restores my perception of abundance.

Yesterday Husband swooped me out of the sick ward for a drive through Myakka River State Park. And though I still don’t have a long walk in me yet, the drive through winding roads was a fantastic reviver. It was laced with grandmotherly oaks trying to hold on to their Spanish moss in the wind and busy armadillos loving the harvest of worms from the damp earth courtesy of Friday’s rain. Even a few gators surfaced for photo ops.



Resurrection fern is brown and crinkly in times of drought or little rain, and when the water comes from the sky again, it bounces back to green lushness. I never recall seeing it so pronounced as it was on Saturday. Just look at it.


This 'dillo stopped to take his head out of the ground for a few seconds and seems to be saying, “Damn. It feels good to be alive.”


But you know what I loved almost as much as anything? The peanut man. Still there on the corner of Fruitville and Myakka Road, Peanut Man sits on the side of his pickup on Saturdays. The old dog I used to see with him as a faithful companion had passed on, and a new friend was with him.


I used to drive this road every day on my way to work running programs at a nature center near the state park. I knew I had to move on, but I sure miss the natural environment out there. It felt like a homecoming yesterday. On the way back I carried the refreshed vivid imagery I love, the feeling of wind still on my face, and peanuts on the pallet.

16 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and bouncing back. Those ressurection ferns are beautiful. I love them!

KB said...

You're one lucky woman to know what's important to you down deep. Many go their whole lives superficially without ever taking time to think about it and without ever finding out.

You get an "A" in lifesmanship.

Now just get stronger so you can take it hiking with you and flaunt it around your favorite venues.

Liz Mays said...

What a glorious way to spend an afternoon. I so love when the trees form a canopy like that! I loved taking this little drive with you. :)

nursemyra said...

lovely photos - especially the cute little armadillo

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Beautiful pictures! Love the gators and that other creature too :) Why is the man the Peanut Man though? He sells peanuts or what? I like peanuts... and peanut butter :)

Menopausal New Mom said...

You are a beautiful writer, I felt like I was right there with you. I love the photos, thank you so much for sharing them with us.

It's snowing here today so seeing all those lush green trees makes me hopeful that Spring will get here soon!

Uncommon Blonde said...

Great pics! Peanut man ... do you mean there are bioled peanuts to be found within 30 miles of SRQ? I am so there.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely afternoon, gators and all! I so love Spanish Moss... I think it adds such ambiance. None here in VA.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

How nice that your hubby got you out, and in a way you could manage. Looks beautiful! Gray and COLD here...

ballast photography said...

I have never seen a live armadillo before! I feel a little like I was along on the ride, and that you put your Nature Interpreter hat on for just a bit to describe all the flora and fauna :)

I hope you are feeling all the way better soon.

Unknown said...

WOW! What a great post - I love your little adventure. It feels so great to get out, even if you can't walk around.

Gators and an armadillo... I am impressed!

Marvin said...

Such nice pics! I haven't been there in a year or two. I need to drag the Gheenoe over there and play.

Poindexter said...

what a wonderful day! I simply adore armadillos. A gentle creature that dresses every day like a knight in shining armor. Gotta love it. Get well soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Even from your car you take the best photos, Gropy! So glad hubby loves you and understands your need to commune with nature even when you're coughing up a lung. Gorgeous day and love sharing your ruminations with you! xoxoxoxox rl

bernthis said...

I love that feeling of being on the mend and spending some time outside. Glad you're doing betterl

Mixed Reflections said...

Thanks, you all. The Peanut Man has been selling his peanuts for as long as anyone can remember. We honestly thinks he digs them out of the ground himself. Used to think boiled peanuts were vile...they're starting to grow on me now.