Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sweet Forgiveness

Compassionate people are blessings. And the receiver of yesterday's 3 mistake-laden e-mails was nothing but a Goddess of Forgiveness today. After calling her begging for mercy, she graciously played it as "not a big deal" and reassured me with something to the effect of "I've done this sort of thing before." 

Sometimes I get so caught up with the pooper people in life that I forget about the good folks, people who are cool enough not to relish in your faults.

The lesson for me is less of "read before sending" since I'm usually fairly articulate and decent at self-editing, but more of "who am I going to give a break today?" 

It's true, you never know what someone is dealing with when you're on the receiving end of a weird e-mail, or when you meet someone for the first time and they mix up a fact or two.  This is a good moment for me to remember this. Although I'm generally pretty forgiving, sometimes--even without meaning to--I can be quick to judge competency.

Note to Gropius: Make a point to return the favor, not just with someone, but with everyone.

BTW: I didn't do anything mean. It was a press release with a missed date, then phone number!

9 comments:

Leah said...

That is great news... I always believe that there are a lot of good people out there... those who are fair and don't judge easily. I'm glad that everything turned out well. xoxo You are blessed!!!

Erica@PLRH said...

Knowing good people is wonderful. Having them surprise you in a good way is even better.

Anonymous said...

Glad everything turned out well!! Understanding people are very important in life. I try to be that way myself.

Marvin said...

The phone number could have been a sex number. See how awful it COULD have been, and wasn't?

KB said...

It's good policy to assume that people are kind, decent, and well intentioned. Most of the time you'll be right. I've learned that there is truth in one of my old boss's sayings "You get what you expect."

Seems like you've pulled this lesson out of your recent experience. Way to go!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Yay, I am so glad everything turned out for the best!!!!

M L Jassy said...

Note to self, give people a break. Will remember this for some of my studentials, at their most trying moments. PS Hope you vanquished the varmint germs.

Poindexter said...

including yourself. it's ok to cut yourself some slack too. One of my favorite books is The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz. One of these is "do your best" with the understanding that your best may actually vary from day to day depending on the task, your competency and even little things like how you are feeling. Makes keeping my side of the street clean ever so much easier when I can place it in this context.

Anonymous said...

So glad for the update that all worked out. Next time you're sick, I hope you take time for you, sometimes it's just what we need!