Saturday, February 13, 2010

Visions of Love

Valentines Day. I’ve always loved it. Being a creature of inherent and deep seated romantic inclination, I view Valentines as an encouraging ticket for unexpressed love to be bold and daring in its exciting infancy and for familiar love to do something out of the ordinary to renew the spark of eternal possibility. Ahhhh….

Unfortunately, my loyal husband hates the day and considers it an abomination created by the Hallmark company.

So instead of talking about anything special we do [not] do, I thought I’d take you on two mini-Valentine journeys—journeys of crap and suck cards. What does this mean? Let me explain.

  1. What a crappy Valentines. I saw a link to a story on NPR website this morning about a farmer who designed a half mile heart in the newly fallen snow for his wife. Oh how sweet! Sweet manure that is. Yes, the heart was made with manure. Don't believe me? Check out the Albert Lea Tribune for the full story, where this photo came from:
  2. “You suck.” For some unknown reason, in the past Husband has twice ordered flowers for his mother from a very well-known (and substandard) national company called something like Fro Plowers (just substitute the right letters). Why do I not want to spell out the company name? The last time I blogged about them, Google Ads were generated that spewed promotions for the company on my blog for like 3 weeks afterwards.

    Anyway, back to the point…they screwed up so badly last time, Husband received a free flower order. This year, he tried to use it to order Valentines flowers for me with a card that read “Fro Plowers sucks.” They refused to have that recorded on the card. Oh well, it’s the thought that counts, right? If you can’t have the sweetness of thoughtful manure, at least you can have some humor.
Wishing all Gropius readers something a little special this Sunday. Happy Valentines to you.

12 comments:

M L Jassy said...

What can say 'I love you' better than a giant manure heart? The irony of it. Loving someone through all the shit and back again. Bravo!

nursemyra said...

yes, I love the idea of the manure heart too!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Valentines Day. I’ve never liked it. lol

Have a warm and sweet Valentine's still, you never know, your husband may just decide to surprise you ;)

Erica@PLRH said...

Perhaps the farmer had to use the materials that were at hand. Once spring comes there might be an especially green heart-shape in the field to remind his wife that love grows. Or you reap what you sow?

Leah said...

Hahaha! I would love to get the heart manure anytime. It was a sweet gesture.

Happy Valentine's day! xoxo

KB said...

That manure heart story happened not all that far from where I live so it got a lot of local TV coverage. The couple were typical down-to-earth Minnesota farm folks finding one more warm fuzzy thing to help pass the time. Our long cold winters must seem especially long to those isolated out in the country having to be there every day to take care of the livestock. Knowing Minnesotans, they'll probably find some way to turn this into a state-wide competition among farm families and make a lot of midwinter fun out of it.

Meanwhile, here's some distantly related (if you see what I mean)
information you can use to spice up your emails and postings.

http://goldenrodsthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/09/e-mooning.html

Poindexter said...

I suppose if you farm the land for a living, manure is just one of the tools. Maybe not too much different than my homemade valentines. Just bigger. And, well, organic.

KB said...

At the risk of being considered intrusive I offer this perspective on love.

http://www.uua.org/news/newssubmissions/158319.shtml

Liz Mays said...

I have ordered from them before and I am inclined to agree with you!!! I was very disappointed!

Mixed Reflections said...

Yes, the manure heart was such a cool departure from the standard Valentines Day stuff. Loved it. Ken--so exciting that this was in your neck of the woods! Great UU article about love too.

Marvin said...

LOL those are funny.

Anonymous said...

So does that mean the largest crops this year will be in the shape of a heart?! Love, love, love...all year round.