Sunday, August 30, 2009

Oh Julia...

I did pretty good in Julie & Julia last night. Knowing all of the carcasses I would view, I still managed to really enjoy the flick. Meryl Streep, who always personifies characters like no one else's business, was as brilliant as ever. And the affection she and her husband had for one another was sweetly and delicately portrayed, with no unnecessary flashiness. Good taste, good taste. In the end, I slightly questioned the health of Julie's obsession with Julia, but felt that knowing Mrs. Child would have been a riot.

So, here's to you Julia. You were really something...and I never knew about your scientific inclinations. This "primordial soup" edition of your show is so much beyond the mere label of entertaining. It's a bit like The Twilight Zone mixed with 4th grade science class. (Watch out for her banging the knife for emphasis...and then pressing the blade in her hand...) Bon appetite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does she now look and sound like a self-parody? I keep thinking she's Meryl Streep doing Julia Child instead of Julia Child doing Julia Child. It's weird!

Erica@PLRH said...

I love how she used the knife as a pointer and her oh so exact method of measuring.