Saturday, August 8, 2009

My New Home at the Neighborhood Vet

Maybe I should just sleep at the vet. I'm there all the time. I could not live without Flanders--she's one hell of a pooch. But I swear, every five minutes she needs to go to the vet. She's always had a plethora of skin problems, who could forget Gary the head lump with its own personality (see post op from a few years ago at left), a lump on her behind, and most recently, two ear hematomas that have taken the two of us to the far reaches of sanity.

The dog doesn't have a flea on her and has allergy shots every three seconds. But she hasn't stopped scratching in the past 9 days. So this morning's visit to the neighborhood vet (barely $100--thank goodness) sent me home with six, yes SIX, different medications for what is apparently a fungus/ mite infection on her skin. Gross.

The old man vet is a trip. The office looks like a rat hole, but everyone there is super nice and the vet has been practicing since before Christ. One time he gave me a friendly lecture about how I shouldn't be a vegetarian because he doesn't know any vegetarians past the age of 50...and therefore, vegetarians don't live past the age of 50. Hmmm. If it were anywhere else, I would be greatly offended. But given the humor of the unorthodox medical advice from a dog/cat doc and given the heartfelt place of its origin, I just smiled.


I know Flanders will totally dig me shoving 2 different pills down her throat, adding another crumbled pill in her bowl, dropping some rancid liquid from a mysterious homeopathic looking bottle in her mouth, spraying her with something that resembles 409, and sponging her with yet another concoction. She's probably thinking, "Honestly. I was better off on the street. Why did I go with this crazy person 10+ years ago?"

4 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Poor Flanders! does the soft, cushy, indoor life not agree with her?

I take it she's beyond to point of putting yogurt on her food and an oatmeal bath.

Freedom Writing said...

I sort of know where you are coming from. I'm on the phone nearly daily with our new vet (Dr. Huber, located at Hagans Pet Resort, off Tallevast, east of 301) for my Daisy's anxious reaction to storms (baaaad reaction which requires doggie downer medication). Anyway, who knew the life of a dog (or more honestly dog owner) could be soooo ruff...oops, I mean, rough.

Melissa

bernthis said...

I would love love to have a dog again and my kid, oh Lord, she is dying for one but it is those vet bills and the food and the and the and the...you get my point

marble9 said...

Hope Flanders is buying his meds at pharmacy with pet prescription card...my $45 meds cost $13 at walgreens.