Sunday, August 23, 2009

Big, Rich and Ugly

My other half is the country music fan. I can tolerate some of it. Others like the Dixie Chicks and greats like Patsy Cline and Jonny Cash are on my A list. Love 'em. Most of the other country, aaahh, let's just say is not my cup of tea. BUT, I have respect for what they do and the fact that so many people enjoy it.

When the boys from Big & Rich stepped on the portable stage last night after the Rays game (awesome, by the way), I immediately knew there would be trouble. John Rich was wearing a full length fur coat.

In the same way I don't cram my vegetarianism and warm, fuzzy yet extremely protective feelings toward animals down anyone's throat, I don't appreciate a lack of regard for life being shoved down mine. Aside from all of the other fur issues--which I'm sure you don't care to read on Gropius--IT'S FLORIDA IN AUGUST. To me, it was a pretty strong statement. And my statement to you, Rich, not only do I find it disgusting, but by the way, your music is soooo less than impressive.

Throughout the show, Rich's conservativism was overwhelming to the point that my urgings to use the ladies room were finally recognized and the welcome visit outside the seating was prolonged in Tropicana Field's vacant hallways.

What about the other guy--the "Big" part of Big and Rich? Part of me sort of liked "Big" Kenny Alphin and what he had to offer. He literally vacated the stage during some of the more...conservative...aspects of the performance. I just found this article from Access Altanta and it explains a bit about the duo.

Apparently, each is pretty polar opposite off-stage too. Alphin is an "eighth generation farm boy from Virginia" who has a big heart and is involved in charities like Hope Through Healing Hands, helping the underserved access medical care. Now that's what I'm talking about.

About Rich, Access Atlanta has this to say, "Politics aside, Rich has a tendency to get into conflicts that often end up in the gossip columns. He was involved in a neighborhood dispute when he bought some prime Nashville real estate and started construction on a giant house that irked the neighbors."

You don't say...

Now regrettably, this posting will no doubt result in GoogleAds for Big and Rich generated through keywords on my blog, but please approach with caution.

1 comment:

Jan C said...

John Rich has changed to a fake fur coat, to make people happy, the coat you saw is not real.