Sunday, August 16, 2009

Young People, Old People...Come on Out

Disclaimer: Even if you do not have the slightest interest in baseball, you may enjoy this post.


Since my newly found love for baseball (and most specifically the Rays) has emerged, I've spent a great deal of time trying to convince friends they should come with me to the games. Friends who finally say, "Jesus! It's just not my thing" or "Watching baseball is like watching paint dry." Ok, ok, I get it. And I totally respect that.

It's just that... (yes, I'm still trying)...they make it so entertaining once you're there. I have to give it up for the set of event planners who are lining up the exciting "extras" of every home game, like last night's sci-fi theme, where you can see storm troopers dancing to the Beastie Boys.
And the ongoing race between Sierra Mist, some cola and a water that looks like milk. (One day a 40 of King Cobra will be included.)

And the very rocking B-52's. I realized what I like so much about them, other than the "different factor," which I'm always game for. It's the fact that they're so darn organic in sound and movement. They just look like they're having the times of their lives and couldn't give a damn, Scarlett, whether they're playing for 10 people or 1 million. Great energy there. I would definitely go to see them as a solo act.


Which brings us to the team. Seriously, these are some adorable and talented boys. For the first time, I really understand how it feels to want a team to win.

...Just like the pubescent boy sitting to the immediate left of us who was over-anxious to try out his deepening voice over and over and over again.
So here's a morning simulation for you. Pretend like you're emitting a low, raspy growl. Now try to talk in that fashion. Now pump up your volume, as if you're trying to communicate with a neighbor...in Arcadia. Now keep doing it for 4 hours. And bang some seats around. You get it. It was amusing if anything.
But the long and short of it for me: it's especially nice to see young people, old people and everything in between elevated by the same entertainment, which is simply good, clean fun. Come on out to the ball game people. You'll have a good time. And Gropius is receiving no compensation for this little viral endorsement. Promise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like the Rays have combined baseball with the circus. That's understandable considering the traditional connection between Florida and the circus. Here in Minnesota the game itself is our circus. If the mascot jogs across the field a time or two that's plenty of extra entertainment for us. Minnesotans can't take too much fun at one time. As Garrison Keilor (of The Prairie Home Companion Show) would say "It's the shy Lutheran upbringing here that keeps people from enjoying too much at one time. To a Minnesota Lutheran lifes pleasures are better measured out slowly and savored as as they come. Too much of a good thing all at once is viewed as wasteful."

A Minnesota Twins (former team of Barlett and Garza, whom we miss) Fan

Erica@PLRH said...

You got much better photos than I did.

I'm looking forward to Saturday. It's country night! Yee Haw!

Mixed Reflections said...

Barlett & Garza used to be Twins? I had no idea! Now don't you feel silly for trading them?