Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"They made me feel like myself again."


I was very moved by Circus Sarasota's Laughter Unlimited luncheon today. If you aren't familiar with the program, here's the scoop: they provide professional clowns, circus entertainers and trained volunteers to visit nursing homes, assisted living facilities, day care centers, hospitals and other institutions bringing joy and laughter to those who could reaaally use it.

I know what you're thinking...you're a little "iffy" on the whole clown thing, right? I understand. And that's how John Overton, CEO of the Pines of Sarasota and today's speaker, began his talk about the Circus Sarasota/ Pines partnership. What started as a childhood fear of clowns (I guess it's a LOT more common than I thought) has developed into great love for them. He has seen how laughter penetrates the hearts of people who are sick, near death and without family, or otherwise unreachable.

Some of the anecdotes he shared of residents talking for the first time in ages, squeezing clowns' hands with joy, and getting in one final laugh before departing from this life were incredibly touching. One resident said, "They made me feel like myself again." Need I say more?

I've been thinking more than usual about the moment we leave this earth. We don't ever know when that might be. Many of us are lucky enough to reach ripe old ages. Some of us have family with us. Others may feel utterly alone, hopeless and closer to Jupiter than a laugh. Look at what these folks do! The people they provide relief and laughter for people who are our mothers, fathers, grandmothers, brothers.... Feel like helping them continue with this work? Good karma will come back. Here's where you can learn more & give: http://www.circussarasota.org/. Do it.

1 comment:

Erica@PLRH said...

Circus Sarasota does some wonderful things for the community. We've worked on several projects with them. In fact, my first meeting with them I walked into the Board Room to see Chucko in full costume. A slightly frightened gasp escaped from my mouth. Yes, I have clown issues.