Friday, April 24, 2009

Bumper Sticker Irony

I enjoyed Pine Lakes Redhead's post yesterday on her favorite and most annoying bumper stickers. She beat me to it. I'll add just a few to the fave list:


  • "Yes, I'm Driving a Truck. No, I Won't Help You Move,"
  • The classic "Who Would Jesus Bomb?" and
  • One I had never seen before that made me laugh uncontrollably on the highway, "Got Poop?"

But what's really great is an all-star bumper sticker giant whose very way of life contradicts the sticker itself. I was behind a huge SUV one day on the way to work that was wearing a "Stop Global Warming Now" sticker. It was so difficult to prevent myself from rolling down the window to share my thoughts.

Now, this is a good story. One of my dearest friends, a talented copywriter, mother and creative, worked with me one summer as a telemarketer at the Freedom Boat Club--along with half of our other friends. (This is a story in itself that will make you laugh your behind off, but that's for another day.)

On our last day at work for the summer, she ground her car into a ditch so deeply that the bottom of the bumper was even with the pavement. Her bumper sticker read "Women are Natural Born Leaders, You're Following One Now." Although she is a natural born leader, I couldn't help but enjoy the irony of the situation as the truck & chain was hauling her out of the ditch. Good times, good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh! the ditch witch. funny story. yeah, kelly and phyliss pulled me out. so funny!

Erica@PLRH said...

I have another one regarding Global Warming but I'll save that until lunch.