Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Are All Health Food Store Workers Snobs?

In a deep Southern accent, the proclamation was issued, "All of these health food store employees are the snottiest people alive." I'm not sure I totally agree, but during a recent visit to my parents' house, it was announced with as much truth and certainty as the statement "Florida is a peninsula."

Evidently, the fam had more than one bad experience with the crew of the New Smyrna Beach natural supplement/a few organic veggies/lots of fake meat dinner stores. And perhaps part of the problem is that health food store workers often confuse themselves with doctors. They hold the coveted herbal prescriptions to anything that could stop itching, anxiety, cholesterol problems, angina, hypertension, hypotension, acne, erectile dysfunction, etc., etc., etc. And if they're generous enough to just give that wisdom away, you can at least expect to be looked up and down with a judgemental eye.

My solution for New Smyrna Beach: get a Whole Foods. I hate to be "pro big box store," but seriously, Whole Foods is awesome. The staff of our local Whole Foods wouldn't dare flash the evil eye at their customers. Although I rarely visit it to peruse the wild assortment of bottles in the supplement aisle, I know a kind, environment-loving employee will always come to share a bit of advice and point out what I need...without an elitist attitude.

In the meantime, mom & dad, did you ever hear of the miracle herb protynaciniabrtyal? Me neither...I think I made it up. But it would be a good one to mention to the next health food store snob who tries to teach you a thing or two with attitude.

1 comment:

Erica@PLRH said...

I love Whole Foods too and their cashiers are always friendly. I really like their assortment of products. But I have to admit that when I've asked for assistance with finding something, I've usually been ignored. Maybe I don't look organic enough. When I have a specific question, I go to Richard's.