Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Feeling 10 Days Older Than Water

A few observations and conversations lately, namely relating to children and music, are making me feel ten days older than water.

Reconnecting with an old friend on Facebook, I saw a photo of her family. Her 12 year old who I remembered fondly as a cute little kid first transitioning from elementary school to middle school is now in college. What is that all about?

My tween stepson is now impossible to shop for without him by my side, as all the clothes I bring home are now "dorky." The silver iron-on symbols on dark jeans with faded-to-white centers are dorky to me, but apparently I am no longer qualified to make those decisions. And while we're sharing the same space in the car to go shopping, he makes quick use of head phones to transport acceptable music--my selection is far too unhip for him.

Also on the music side, I have noticed that the 80's tunes which I grew up listening to are now on oldies 108. Ummmm....that's really scary. I do like the "real" oldies, like Sam Cooke and Elvis. Oh wait...that was the same music I was embarrassed to have in the car when my parents were transporting me somewhere with friends.

Okay, okay, I get it. This is pay back for making my dad turn off the Mozart before I opened the car door to get out at school. We listened to that and positive thinking tapes on the ride to Selwyn Elementary.

Watch out, young tween in my house, it could be worse. And even worse than that, you could end up doing the same yourself and thinking nothing of it when you're old like me.

2 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Trying not to turn into your parents is a tricky one. I tried so hard not to act like my mother that I turned into my father instead. My kids call me "Grandfather 2.0".

How's this for feeling older than dirt... when my son found out that my mother went to Mount Vernon HS in VA, he asked if George Washington was in any of her classes.

Got to love the kids. The only other option is to choke them.

Christine said...

Oh Susie girl, you KNOW i feel for you! However, if you ask him casually, well, maybe we could go on that show, Wife Swap, where you get a NEW mom for a couple of weeks, I betcha he screams in horror because at the end of it, they really do love you best and wouldn't trade you for anything!! Which is way way better than being totally hip. IMHO of course! :)