Saturday, March 13, 2010

Peep Eaters & Special K Lovers Beware

Today I saw a commercial suggesting that a bowl of Special K "Chocolatey Delight" cereal is a profoundly satisfying substitute for chocolate ice cream. First the television actress stared at the scrumptious carton in the freezer long enough to burn the image and the idea of ice cream in my mind for the next few hours. Then she turned, smiling, to a bowl of flakes with what looked like rabbit turds in it. Not very effective, Special K marketing execs.


It really gets me thinking about nasty looking foods and how they’re marketed, especially around Easter. So here’s a good SAT question for you:

"Special K Chocolatey Delight" is to "appealing" as "Easter peeps" are to _______.

Edible. The answer is edible.

Frankly, I cannot think of anything more repulsive than a peep.

I hope you still love me after this. Forgive me readers, for I have sinned. The National Geographic Peeps Contest (yes, it's for real--check it out) has inspired me to list the Easter confectionaries that make me want to blow chunks. Among them I cite:

1. Peeps (I'll put them at #1.)

2. Cadbury eggs (What the hell IS that crap in the middle?)

3. Jelly beans (I know, this could classify me as un-American.)

4. Gummy anything (Yes, you are actually consuming fishing lures.)

Maybe it makes me boring, but honestly, I’m just a chocolate girl when it comes to candy. And I just don’t think the damn Special K cereal can substitute.

Unfortunately, another calorie-induced holiday is upon us. I’ll be hanging out on the other side of Florida at my parents' house and hoping this away-from-home Easter (combined with the fact that D-Man is now 13) will diminish my obligatory $30 pocket emptying exercise on the candy aisle. Don’t take it personally, Easter Bunny.

By the way, if you dare to go to the Peeps website, make sure the volume is turned to a moderate level. Flanders is looking at me like “Damn you! It’s loud. It’s annoying. And I’ll never get this out of my head!”

If you make it out of there alive, you will find Peep Fun Facts, Peep Recipes and Crafts, even a Peep Fan Club. Who knew? The one thing you won’t find is a list of ingredients. And how long the human body is naturally preserved after death if you’ve eaten more than 10 Peeps in your life. Mmmmm. Mighty fine thought.

Are you a Peep eater? I want to know.

15 comments:

M L Jassy said...

Fortunately I am not at all familiar with peeps. There is a lot of fake so-called "food" around.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

First time I'm hearing about "peeps"! lol But what a fun post though... Lol at the body being naturally preserved haha I like some marshmallow sometimes, but not too big on it - my candy of choice is also chocolate.

SuziCate said...

You are not off the hook for Easter candy...they always want it no matter how old they are! Trust me I won thw world's worst mother two Easters ago...and they were 18 and 21...when will it end?! And I hate peeps!

nursemyra said...

I don't think we have peeps in Oz

Gina said...

ugh i HATE peeps, too. you're not alone. :)

Leah said...

I haven't tried Peeps yet. But I sure do will, I love anything with chocolates.

I don't like jelly beans but I adore gummi bears. hahaha!

Have a great day! xoxo

Erica@PLRH said...

I can handle eating one Peep once a year. I just love the wonderful colors they come in! But I'm totally with you on the Cadbury eggs... those things are nasty!

injaynesworld said...

I'm a chocolate gal. Must have the 70% dark cocoa kind. But I have to confess to longing for one of the yellow chick peeps at Easter. Just one though. Honest.

hubby said...

Has anyone ever noticed that the peeps chicks look like terds from the pilsbury dough boy..Back off nothing tops Cadbury eegs

bernthis said...

they are foul and I'll pretty much eath anything with sugar in it.

ballast photography said...

Nope, no peeps for me...we do buy some chocolate, but in general, my kids have always gotten small toys and trinkets in their baskets.

Marvin said...

Ha, glad to know I'm not alone. I hate all those things too. I've never eaten a Peep, and have no desire to. I'm not sure they're food, really. Neither are Twinkies.

I would rather eat a chocolate-covered grasshopper than a Peep.

Unknown said...

I have never tried a peep! They look a bit like styrofoam don't they? I don't think I would like them. I'm not a big fan of food that looks like I should use it to pack my china next time I move.

Now those mini eggs though... just plain chocolate with the candy coating? I'm a fiend for those little buggers!!!

Liz Mays said...

I think Peeps are SO disgusting!!! I'm with you! But I have to say that the Special K chocolate cereal is fab-u-lous! I was shocked but I LOVE it!!!

jenji said...

I'm pretty sure that Peeps were first discovered whilst attempting to create a sugar-laden concoction worthy of nuclear holocaust; or should I say, able to survive nuclear holocaust and thus thrive in a bomb shelter environment for decades sans degradation.

Yuck.

jenji