Friday, March 26, 2010

Dear World, I'm Frustrated. What Gives?

So we all go through periods of time that are...trying. Trying to say the least.

Patience is a trait that's required of us, and I learned when the very young D-Man came into my life that I didn't have quite the level of patience I thought I had. I've been working on it. But unfortunately, patience is one of those things you learn through wading in fields of doodoo. And taking the proper time to get to the edge of the crap-laden field and picking it out of your shoes. The operation can be delicate, but once it's done, you've made it to the other side and have the experience to show for it.

It's been one of those weeks. I'm frustrated with a few projects. With the lack of movement in things. And with obstructions that seem rather unnecessary in personal matters, professional progression and yes, some random things as well.

Now the sensible Gropius says, "Suck it up. Freaking deal with it, Gropius. You have more opportunities and luxuries that a vast majority of the world's population. Are you doing absolutely everything you can to live up to your obligations of service and love in this life? Stop your complaining."

And then the everyday, trying-to-deal-with-it Gropius says, "What's the DEAL?  Why all of this mess, delay, frustration, annoyance, road block party? And just SHUT UP, sensible Gropius. You drive me crazy. And that's just adding on to everything."


Yes, I'm glad it's Friday night. Sittin' on the couch with the boys as they enjoy the Blind Side, thinkin' about the happiness I'll enjoy with tomorrow morning's birding trip to Hillsborough River State Park, and knowin' that Fiddler on the Roof will be fun on Sunday afternoon.

I don't think for a minute that I'm not lucky. And I'll always be full of gratitude for where I am, what I do, the opportunities I'm afforded, the beauty I'm exposed to, the people I meet, and then some.  But every once in a while, I reserve the right to bitch, both because it's human and because I feel the need. And because on my blog, I can say whatever I want with no apologies.

9 comments:

Leah said...

My dad always tells me to live for the moment... it's okay to gripe, to feel frustrated, to be ecstatic, to be sad, to be impatient, to be carefree... but be sure to live every moment.

Have a great weekend! xoxo

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Hey, once in a while we ALL reserve the right to bitch. Have at it. Holding it back rarely helps. As Scarlett would say, "Tomorrow is another day..."
Hope next week rocks!

Poindexter said...

you are right - it's your blog and for goodness sakes you can absolutely say whatever you want! Hope you have a glorious weekend! We started our weekend today with a trip to central TX for a really big antiques show. Got some photos of a friendly longhorn cow on the way home too. Perfect day.

Brian Weiner said...

I am of the school that we create our own opportunities for achievement and happiness, personal and professional. As the old, stogy sayings remind us annoyingly, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease..." and "To the victor go the spoils." Choosing take the ride is far less enjoyable (to many) than driving the bus. I for one, choose always to drive the bus. Male dominance...no, I don't think so since The General, too, is a driver. Make change happen in your life, don't wait for it to come to you. If you let the time pass you by, you are left only with regrets.

Erica@PLRH said...

Bitch away! Like you said, it's your blog. Have a relaxing weekend and next week will be better!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Oh yeah, we all get those. It's just important to keep those things balanced, and it looks like you have no problem with that :)

Marvin said...

When the universe obstructs your progress, it's because you're supposed to go in a different direction. ;-)

M L Jassy said...

I'm a sufferer of frequent frustration, similarly. Here's to patience and let's hope they release it in capsule form soon.

KB said...

I doubt that pursuit of patience at an intellectual level has any benefit. If you think about it like a New Year's resolution you might learn a few mechanics that are helpful WHEN you remember to use them.

But to me it seems that impatience is a deeply rooted character trait and so needs a deeply penetrating effort if it is to be changed. Meditation on the nature of self may help one to see the cost of impatience and the benefits of patience. Everything becomes easier if we truly understand at a soul level how it will make life better. Then the practice becomes a natural consequence. Of course none of us is ever going to be a perfect model of patience, that isn't human. But why not reduce it to a point where it doesn't distract you from feeling good about the way you handle life?

Eckhart Tolle can be a helpful guide in this area.

Dealing with teens is probably the greatest test of patience. When my girls were young I learned that it's necessary for teens to challenge us in order to achieve the separation they need to become individuals in their own right. Of course the degree to which any one challenges us varies. But if you remain firm in your own beliefs and remind yourself that facing those challenges is shaping a life for the future it helps a bit with the patience. My sister, who raised five successful kids, taught me that no matter how patient you become dealing with a teen, you will have explosive moments when you you will feel like throwing them down the steps.
When you can navigate through those moments with some degree of composure and control, and with your self esteem intact you know you have reached a pinnacle of patience. Remind yourself that neither of you intends to be a bad person.