Monday, March 15, 2010

Lettuce Lake

A short hour's drive from the world of Bradenton sits a cypress-covered oasis on the outskirts of Tampa.

Lettuce Lake hosts wading birds along its edges, woodland migrants flitting about in the red maple tree canopies, ospreys grabbing Spanish moss laden branches for their Spring nests and abundant reptile life sunning in half-submerged mossy logs.

It was such a treat for us.

Duckweed dotting the water surface.


Yellow rat snake hunting or searching for a nearby tree to climb.


D-Man takes his chances with Swamp Thing.


Water lettuce, for which the lake is named.


American alligator chillin' out on a log.


Fresh spring cypress growth.


Old oak tree split apart by lightening or disease.

Florida is full of treasures. It was a beautiful weekend with new places to visit. We were happy to see so many others on the boardwalk and trails at Lettuce Lake.  Love this time of year! 

14 comments:

ballast photography said...

Awesome! I am heading to the Sunshine state in three weeks--count 'em three!!!--and I can't wait. Just yesterday, a family friend who hails from Florida warned me not to stick my toes in random lakes and ponds for fear of various Swamp Things...

Thanks for whetting my appetite for all things Floridian!

Liz Mays said...

That is some kind of beauty out there! It reminds me of a cypress slough I visited last time I was down there!

Gina said...

I really like the snake photo! Looks like a beautiful place to visit.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

So beautiful.
That is one big-ass snake!

Leah said...

That is an awesome place to visit... I love the wildlife and great that you have one in your area.

Have a great day! xoxo

injaynesworld said...

So many different kinds of beauty in the world. Thank you for sharing yours.

bernthis said...

is he sitting right where that alligator and snake live?

Erica@PLRH said...

Great photos! You had to include one of a snake. Thanks!

SuziCate said...

Lovely pictures...yes, even the snake and alligator!

Marvin said...

Beautiful pix, Gropius. You're shaming me into posting more of my own. If I can find them.

Poindexter said...

gorgeous photos! I have never seen a swamp or been close to an aligator in his natural habitat. Isn't it curious they have that little smile? What a treat! Thank you.

Fragrant Liar said...

Mmmm! I love spring in Florida. I'll be out that way soon for a visit, and can't wait!

Of course, I do try to refrain from getting too close to the swamp creatures.

KB said...

Those pics give me a good feeling, especially since I'm going to try to get up there next week or the week after.

Can't get over how good looking D-man is getting.Very photogenic.Of course with you behind the camera he'd look good anyway.;>)

Cheers!

nursemyra said...

Wonderful photos Gropius!