Monday, November 2, 2009

When things seem bad, at least you don't have BIID

While I was working on a painting yesterday, I was listening to a television program about a man who believes his own leg is not really part of him and wants to amputate it. This named disorder is referred to as Body Integrity Identity Disorder. Hm. I’d never heard of it.

The gentleman flew to San Francisco from Australia so a team of scientists (who seemed to be afflicted with some disorder themselves) performed various tests in an effort to make him accept his leg. These extremely scientific tests included flooding his ear with fluid and holding a mirror up to his “accepted” leg so it looked like he had two of those. Apparently, it did briefly make the amputation desire slightly less intense for him—probably resulting from being dizzy as hell and pissed that he had flown thousands of miles for THAT.

Wow. Just when you think things are heavy in your life…

Did you notice that I began this post by making sure to mention that I was conducting another activity while I listened to this little broadcast? It’s true. And I wanted to make sure you knew I didn’t devote my undivided attention to this narrative. Does this come with a disorder name?

1 comment:

Erica@PLRH said...

Yes, it's called RYF... Repulsed yet Fascinated.