Friday, November 27, 2009

Pipe Dreams

If you were lucky enough to know your grandfather, how do you remember him? Is there a single image that forms that frame of eternity for every recall?  I love to picture Robert Wallace Howard in his recliner, argyle socks showing above his loafers with a pipe in one hand and a glass of scotch in the other. After a few puffs, he'd hum or sigh boldly with satisfaction and get ready for a line of questions or a few words of wisdom.

Before I left today, I selected the most unusual pipes from his notorious collection. We now have them displayed on a wooden shelf that also hosts a drawing of an old tobacco barn--the very definition of old eastern North Carolina.

Here are a few of my faves:










You have to love an old man who can sit back with his pipe and reflect on a lifetime of adventures with the satisfaction of knowing he did everything he wanted to do.  Yes?

9 comments:

nursemyra said...

what amazing pipes - I love them

Dorkys Ramos said...

Wow, those are works of art! I didn't grow up around my grandparents since they lived in another country, but I always wished I got to hear stories about my parents' childhood.

Erica@PLRH said...

The burled wood and meerschaum pipes are beautiful! Especially since you have the wonderful memories to go with them.

f8hasit said...

Those pipes are awesome!
It's nice to have something physical of your grandparents that in a mere touch can bring back vivid memories.

Very cool.
:-)

KB said...

You have real treasure there. Those pipes alone are works of art. (Oh how I wished I could afford one like that meershaum in my young pipe-smoking days.)

But having them to connect you to a grandfather you admired, and to help you call up images of him in his best moments, that's beyond wonderful.

Leah said...

Yes, pipes remind me of my grandpa as well. I can still picture him sitting in the front porch in his rocking chair with a pipe on hand.

Amazing pipe images here.

M L Jassy said...

Pipes are wonderfully representative of leisure, meditative reflection and rich aromas. I still don't really get how they work, whether they stay lit or if you have to relight them, but your collection is beautiful to behold. If you have kids, make sure the display shelf is reasonably high.

Anonymous said...

such a beautiful post, Gropy! I know your gpa is smiling when he sees this! rml

Anonymous said...

amazon caregiver, I have packed those pipes many times. gpa always said my certification was in the mail for pipe packing. We all were in competion for our certificates. gpa was one of a kind. Was great honors knowing this fine man. RWH YOU ARE STILL A DAMN GOODLOOKING MAN!!!! MISS YOU