Thursday, November 5, 2009

Project 180

Tonight I'm headed to McCurdy's Comedy Theatre for a few laughs with friends. What brings me there is a new nonprofit called Project 180. Now let me say this. The words "new" and "nonprofit" in the same sentence usually give me a stomach ache.

Introducing my soapbox...

Look, there is a vast world of nonprofits out there doing incredible things. And there is a vast world of nonprofits duplicating missions and disguising egos as good work. So when a "new" one comes around, it's often not a good thing...it's the sign of another organization doing something that another organization is already doing better.

But Project 180 is different. Right from the beginning, I was amazed at founder Barbara Richards, with her amazing energy, drive and commitment to a mission that many people do not care about. She also did her homework. No one else is doing it here. And she's moved me to care about something that's normally not on my Top 5 list--proof that the person who leads an organization can be just as powerful as its mission.

So what is Project 180, you ask? It seeks to re-integrate ex-offenders into community life. Why is it important? Even if you may not have the compassion to care about someone who managed to make a mistake (like we are all capable of at times), this mission is one that will help to keep you and your family safe, change behaviors for the long term and embrace the possibility of forgiveness.

I love it. Looking forward to some inspiring words from Barbara tonight.

1 comment:

Adam Tebrugge said...

I agree and I enjoyed the show, Kier was great!