Thursday, November 19, 2009

Creative Job Hunting

It's no news that jobs are scarce these days. And although some employers are still hiring, for every job out there, it seems that thousands apply. Experienced professionals are forced to go for entry level positions, and even those are difficult to land. Hmm...looks like I picked the right time to have graduated from college 10 years ago. Can't even imagine what new graduates folks feel like.

An interesting job hunting tactic was displayed at an event I attended today.

An unemployed marketing professional had purchased an event sponsorship, and at her display table, she kept a stack of resumes, a professional sign announcing her candidacy for open positions and a night for two at the Ritz Carlton available to the person who made the introduction to her next employer. At each place setting, she had a bag of roasted peanuts in the shells with a note "In a nutshell, I'm looking for a job."  The hand written note also said "To do: Call ___ at (XXX-XXX) to talk about employment." 

Pretty creative, you've got to admit.

[Afterthought: It's been pretty tough lobbying for date nights. Married women REALLY need them. (Yes, PLRH, it's true.) I am totally going to steal this idea for home. I'll just post some resumes about my qualifications as a date and leave a bag of peanuts (though yes, they'll have to be boiled for husband) with a note declaring "In a nutshell, I'm just looking for a freaking date night with you, Husband."    Think that'll work?]

4 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

You go girl! What man in his right mind would turndown a redhead AND a bag of boiled peanuts?

Anonymous said...

You're so cute. "Will date for peanuts." I'd take you on a date night, Gropy. You're always fun!

bernthis said...

I read that and I think, I'll never get a job. Good Lord.

ballast photography said...

The story about the marketing professional is a real slice of our times. Incredible! If you do the at-home version of the campaign, you really must blog about the results! I'm curious about how that would go down. Good luck!