Friday, November 13, 2009

Redheads Will One Day Rule the World

Here’s a Gropius family car conversation from a couple weekends ago:

  • D-Man: “Did you know there are only 2 million redheads in the entire world? They’re disappearing.”
  • Husband: “I heard that one day redheads will be bred out of the human species.”
  • Gropius [in head]: “Nice. Trying to get rid of me the old fashioned way: genetically. And P.S., this whole conversation is just a little scary for more than one reason.”

So I did a little follow up online and can report through secret Internet sources that there are more like 65 million of us globally, with the largest redhead percentage in the populations of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, respectively. Hm. What a surprise.

And bad news, fam, redheads will not die out unless we simply stop breeding with people who carry that recessive trait. I did find some interesting thought processes going on in blogs and forums re: the “Will redheads die out” question—no doubt one of the most stirring dialogues of our time. Some of them include:

“Ginger kids scare me.” Reply: As they should. We’ll get you. And one day, we’ll take over.

“Does God hate me because I’m a redhead?” Answer: Look, I’d love to answer, but I’ll defer to the Redhead Upstairs.

“Redhead girls are the hottest…after Asian girls” Answer: SECOND hottest? Must be a blonde talking.

BTW, I'll dedicate this post to you, PLRH, one of my fellow redheads. Congrats on your blog award!!!!

5 comments:

Erica@PLRH said...

Thank you!

Did I ever tell you the story about the priest? I'm the ONLY redhead in my family. Growing up I always heard my parents say that I got my red hair from the milkman. Which is funny because I'm a carbon copy of my dad. One day a priest at school asked me where I got my red hair. Yep, the answer, "the milkman" fell out of my mouth.

Did you know that female redheads also have an abnormally high tolerance of pain?

Erica@PLRH said...

Oh, and yes, if you get enough of us together in the same room, we will take over the world!

Brooke said...

I'm mostly Irish. I always get the requisite, "Why don't you have red hair?" My grandma did, but so far, none of us have inherited it.

bernthis said...

I love red hair. I tried being a redhead once. it just wasn't the same as the natural color. Plus my skin tone was not a match.

Jory Des Jardins said...

As someone whose red hues came from a bottle, I would be sad to see the end of the natural red-haired line. My niece and nephew are natural redheads (don't look at my side of the family--we're blonde and brunette.) My niece, in particular has that Lucille Ball, deep red curly hair. The kind that makes people go "Wow, look at that hair." I think it's criminal how being Ginger is looked down upon in the UK. It's such a sign of orginality over here.