Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Really U.S. Airways, REALLY

The new tag line for today's air travel: Fly the Friendly Skies. At least we get you there.

I know it's been several years since I've flown, and things have to change every once in a while. But really, U.S. Airways, REALLY.
Do you HAVE to charge for one lousy carry-on bag? Is it really necessary to hit me up for two bucks just for a can of coke? And if you're going to be that cheap, for Pete's sake, make your flight attendants wear something decent. The Ugly Sweaters brigade just didn't cut it for me, U.S. Airways. I can recall nicely groomed uniforms and attendants who smiled like they meant it.

Would it kill you, Under Serviced U.S. Airways, to at least remember where we're going so when you recite your speech and add "Greenville" to the end, you can do it without a fumbling glance at your cheat sheet? When you have the nerve to tell me to calmly carry my seat to an exit and use it as a floatation device, I expect you to know where the hell we're going. And by the way, we're not going anywhere near water.

When I'm sandwiched between two screaming children, one of whom is violently kicking the back of my seat while parents do nothing to abate it, U.S. Airways, it would be totally cool with me if you said something on my behalf. Really, U Stink Airways, REALLY.

I guess I shouldn't complain. My flight back from Greenville, NC didn't plunge into the Tar River. (Okay, I guess that's one small water body we were near.) But now that I have a taste of today's "new" flying experience, I'll remember not to have high expectations again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. Flying isn't what it used to be. All the companies are pinching pennies. It's annoying to the passenger and to the flight attendants as well. My niece, a career flight attendant for USAir, with decades of service, was not happy about losing most of her pension in a bankruptcy filing. She is not happy about being forced to commute about 90 miles to catch her flights now. She is not happy about the longer hours and the pay cuts. But she still thinks the work and the people are great and stays very professional on the job.

It sounds like you had one of those "flights from hell". I've had a few myself, and my niece has had plenty of them I'm sure. The airline companies can sure screw things up, but by and large I have found the on-board personnel to be OK. If a kid is annoying you, talk to the attendant but remember she isn't in a position to do much about it. She may be just as bugged by a noisy kid as you are. (Maybe someday they'll have isolation seats and soundproof cubicles for annoying kids. Wouldn't that be great?)

Next time you may have better luck on my currently favorite airline: AirTran. They seem to be well organized to communicate with their passengers if there's a problem, and the attendants I've had were all professionals. And they're usually cheaper.

Smokey Stover

Notary Sojac

Anonymous said...

oh hell. just join the mile high club it will be more exciting

Anonymous said...

I hate the fact that when you ride on an airplane you're guaranteed to get sick. And that's the story. Why can't they clean out the air when the plane lands? Why can't they take an extra 10 minutes and Lysol the place?

Just got back from Memphis (Jackson, TN, actually) and of course, I've got a congested head, the flu aches and a sore tummy. One co-pay and four OTC meds later, I'm out 40 bucks and back at work pretending that I'm not sick so that I can stay and get all my work done. (Fully knowing that everyone else is going to get sick.)

So, if you think about it. An airplane never gets 1 person sick, they get about 10 people sick. (Me, Hubby, Olive, Co-worker to Right, Co-worker to Left, Client 1, Client 2, Boss, Vendor 1 and Day Care Lady 1)

Once again: I MEAN, REALLY U.S. AIRWAYS???? REALLY???

Anonymous said...

The previous post noted that having clean air would benefit the passengers. How about providing a clean plane???? Nothing is worse than sitting in a seat with dried food on the window, seat and arm rail! There was no way in heck that I was going to rest my head on the back of the seat!

So I say...American Airlines CLEAN UP YOUR act!

Martin ~ Sarasota, FL