Monday, January 5, 2009

The Old Routine & Post Holiday Blues

I really want to post about how much going back to work sucks after a relaxing Christmas/ New Year's break but I keep thinking, "Gosh, I'm lucky to have a job. How petty does it seem to post about that when some people don't have a source of income these days? I'm a complete ass."

So here it is: I'm not sure if it's work I'm so against. I love working and the sense of purpose it brings. (Plus, it's true, money is helpful if you want a place to live, food and other necessities.)

I think what actually irks me is something that I might have in common with most men--the fear and genuine distaste of commitment. Although I am committed to my work, commitment also means I'm trapped into getting up every single workday at 6:30 a.m., succumbing to the pressures of an office environment (where teeny tiny things can get on your nerves like nobody's business), spending only a minimal amount of time outside in nature, seeing more of my desk than my family and friends, and other annoying tidbits of nastiness.

What a doodie attitude to have for the New Year. But I'm being real here; it's just what I'm feeling. Anyone else?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish we had one more week too. Then I could have seen you more.

Anonymous said...

Hey Goddess of Nature, I understand what you mean. You may want to think about an outdoor career. Being outdoors seems to feed your soul.
Thanks for the fabulous New Years day walk.

Anonymous said...

i feel your pain, gropy. and i agree...you belong in a job in the great outdoors where you can feed your soul and your wallet. hope you find that bliss someday.

Uncommon Blonde said...

Me too! I love my job but did NOT want to come back. It seems like the more time I have off, the more time I want off ... not good.