Thursday, January 15, 2009

Magical Mystery Tour de Sarasota Ceilings

It's not often that I look up at someone's living room ceiling and find a magnificent replica of "Creation" straight from the throws of Italy. Tell me, Gropius readers, what's up with THIS?

When Ramsey Frangie moved into his home some time back, he didn't explain that one of its greatest features was the selection of angels transmitting heavenly vibes from overhead. It's been a while since I was first surprised by the sight of this permanent art fixture, but each and every time I walk into the living space, I am surprised and wowed anew.

(To the right, you see the famous cat Gropius--who was named in the midst of this blog's first week--being held up against the celestial backdrop.)

The fact that the place is aptly adorned like a true bachelor's pad, with simple furnishings--brown leather couches and a large, wall mounted flat screen TV--make the overhead art an even crazier sight. I am profoundly jealous that my house didn't come with a comparable feast for my skyward eyes.

I'd like to mine you for information. Know of any friends' ceilings around the Sarasota/ Bradenton area that are marked by the same artist's hand? What shall these ceiling angels be named? They are the guardians of Ramsey's abode.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

guess one would have to spend a lot of time on one's back to fully enjoy the beauteousness. very sexy! rl

Anonymous said...

I had a friend in in south Sarasota who enjoyed grabbing a shoe from under the bed and heaving it at a palmetto bug walking across the ceiling. Every once in a while his aim was right on. The bugs must have been terrorized. As they saw their doom ascending they would spread their wings. The result was a little indelible angel-like impression.

Eventually the whole ceiling had an interesting random pattern of little angels. Kind of cool. Certainly unique.

Unfortunately I never got a picture and the house was torn down a few years ago so you won't be able to visit and enjoy those angels. But if you can envision them from my description I imagine that it counts as some form of ephemeral art.