Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Baffling Fast Food Shorts

I'm not a huge fan of fast food as a 17 year vegetarian. But I occasionally go there with my eating habits since my time is spread pretty thin. There are some strange habits out there, and I'm guilty of many.

I always get a kick out of going to Chick-fil-A ordering a chicken wrap with no chicken. The fact is, the wrap has lots of lettuce, tomatoes & other healthy stuff. It's just fine without the chicken. But, by virtue of the item's name, it always freaks out the drive-thru people. They go through this whole ordeal, insisting that I answer the question of whether I want the charbroiled chicken, Caesar chicken or cool chicken wrap. They just don't get it that it doesn't matter...I don't want ANY chicken. For some reason, we always reach a mutual agreement that I want the charbroiled chicken (but without the chicken).

Today they told me it wasn't possible. "The wraps are made in advance," said the smooth drive-thru talker who can't deviate by one square millimeter from her programmed responses. But a little trip inside rectified the situation, and I found myself enjoying a nice, healthy wrap on the way to my next gig.

A co-worker has been telling me that she knows the location of every single Sonic in southwest Florida. Finally, I asked her what she likes to get there. "Dr. Pepper" was the reply. Hmmm....

What are your strange fast food habits? And don't tell me you NEVER eat it.

2 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

When I order a turkey sub at Publix deli I always ask for only half of the turkey. I don't like the taste of too much meat and prefer to mask it with condiments. They always think I'm crazy and act like it's a problem. They ask "what do I do with the extra?" as if it's creating some huge obstacle in their day.

Anonymous said...

you must see the movie "Five Easy Pieces" wherein Jack Nicholson does a now classic scene of trying to get an order of plain toast from the diner waitress.

Here it goes:

[Bobby wants plain toast, which isn't on the menu]
Bobby: I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
Waitress: A #2, chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, the mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?
Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.
Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees.