Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Fashion Critics

Fashion isn't a favorite subject of interest for me, but I try to be presentable most of the time. And I do enjoy the award show nights to see how people in the limelight--who through their fame have automatically accepted the role of idyllic fashion displays--have adorned themselves.

During tonight's Golden Globe awards, the Queen Fashion Critics of the Universe, the Fug Girls, will be live blogging in their clever and vicious but hilarious assaults. I intend to keep track of it for as long as I can (while minimizing the screen to get a head start on this week's work at the same time of course).

I try not to wear anything too objectionable--like leggings, gaudy colors juxtaposed in the same ensemble, too much white after Labor Day, etc. But there are certain people in my life who keep me on track--people I can appeal to if I have put an outfit together and need to check my "matching awareness." Oddly, comically and thankfully, one of them is my 12 year old step son. He has a natural knack for what's too old-ladyish, what does and doesn't look good together, and what I should be punished just for musing at too long on the racks in the store.

He's quite a hoot to bring along on a shopping trip. Yesterday, while I was studying a short sleeved silk sweater with little jewels on the front, he told me it looked like a Power Ranger costume. People pay for that kind of comedy. I sure appreciate it. And it resulted in the good decision NOT to buy the sweater. Who's preventing your fashion faux pas?

No comments: