Monday, January 18, 2010

Why I Married A Meat Eater

Very clever, Pines Lake Redhead. Not only did you name all 4 movies with a little help of your commenting predecessors, but you came up with a challenging title for this post. And I have two answers, a serious one and a not so serious one, both of which are true.

Before I continue, the movies were:
  1. The Princess Bride. Of course my fave of all time.
  2. The Goonies. A classic--love it that D-Man enjoys it just as much as I did.
  3. Stand by Me. This story is at once funny, sad, thoughtful...haven't seen it in years. Must rent.
  4. Say Anything.  Maybe not a classic for everyone, but who could resist Lloyd Dobbler?

So here we go: Why I Married A Meat Eater.

Serious:

As a vegetarian of 17 years, I’ve heard it all. Two of the most frequent lines are:
  • “Why do you eat plants, they’re alive too?” (That is HILARIOUS! If I only had a freaking dime for every time I hear that.)
  • “Hmmmm. Do you wear leather?” (Nope. Sorry you didn’t “get” me on that one.)

Contrary to the conclusion that many people seem to draw on their own from the moment they hear “vegetarian,” I don’t make any judgments on people for choosing to eat meat. I don’t lecture people about why it’s a choice for me. And I don’t even discuss it unless someone asks me “why.” Then I have a quick and simple answer to share, knowing if people want more, they’ll ask.

In short, I’ve learned that much more explanation—especially unsolicited—yields the unintended result of making people believe that vegetarians are “moral high horse” elitists.

Now of course I didn’t set out purposely to marry a meat eater; you can’t help you love. And for a world riddled with craziness, I could do a lot worse with character traits.

When I met Husb over 10 years ago, he was working as a chef and prided himself on the art of preparing a beautiful meal. He went to all lengths possible to break the barriers of edible cuisine without delving into what’s most comfortable: those carvings of beef, chicken, sausage, and whatever other muscles and intestines most of the populace eats.

It was pretty impressive. In truth, our marriage had little to do with food of course, but our relationship was comfortable from the very beginning because he honored this facet of me from the very start, while never making unintended promises to one day stop eating meat himself.  To this day, we either eat a meatless dinner, or have two similar dinners—one with meat and one without.

It works out pretty nicely because he knew from the beginning vegetarianism was a strong conviction and he hasn’t tried to slip in the chicken broth on even one occasion.


Not so serious:

Husb and I share the knowledge that a seventh food group exists: the Cheeto Group. This was a commonality we found right from the beginning. No one can pound a daily bag of Cheetos like the two of us, and for this, I can forgive even the meatiest atrocity. Did you know that in 2008, a Jesus-like Cheeto was discovered, since dubbed Cheesus?  Cheesus, if this common ground doesn't bind two people together, what does?


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am the shizit

Erica@PLRH said...

You married a chef? That's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

Seriously, I'm very glad that you and hubby love each other for who you are.

I'm trying to slip more vegetarian meals into our diet at home. Mostly because I want the boys to realize that there are plenty of healthy and tasty options out there.

Thanks for sharing!

PS - I'm right there with you on the Cheetos!

ballast photography said...

As a near-vegetarian married to a very carnivorous man, there is so much here to which I can relate. I've found all kinds of ways to serve meat-optional dishes--like making a meat lasagna in a big pan, an a personal one in a little pan--no extra fuss, everyone is happy! I do eat white meat chicken as long as it is not leftover (ewww...) so we have a fair amount of chicken for dinner.

And the Princess Bride is a great movie! We make all the kids' friends watch it.

Just catching up today...I took an unplanned hiatus from blogging when returning to work and real life from the holidays proved challenging :)

Liz Mays said...

Cheesus??? Who sorts through their Cheetos looking for recognizable shapes?

I get groans when I talk about going vegetarian. I don't know why though. The only thing I eat is bacon so it's really not a stretch.

Poindexter said...

oh my goodness, I have had many conversations with carnivores that appear to be identical to yours when they inquire why I don't eat meat and then drill in to uncover my hypocracy. I've simplified my answer over the years to leave little room for further questioning, just like you.

Hallelujah Cheesus!

Anonymous said...

So that WAS the Virgin Mary in my Cool Ranch Doritos!

Marvin said...

I meet lots of vegetarians who are malnourished, pale, sickly and flatulent. I think they're just doing it wrong, though.

bernthis said...

1. I've only one of the three movies.
2. I can't stand cheetohs, so if I ever get some I'd be happy to send them your way
3. If I didn't eat meat, I would only eat cake

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Cheesus? Priceless!
And married to a chef, you smart woman you!

KB said...

My daughter, a vegetarian since about age 11 or 12, is married to a carnivore who is also a hunter. He has always supported her choice and she has never tried to stop him from hunting. They both cook and she will prepare meat dishes for him but is very careful that none of it touches her food. I think that demonstrates Gropius' point: Love can bridge the differences.

I have always been very proud of her for sticking to a choice that for me would be difficult to carry out to the level she does (I could live on an Indian vegetarian diet but I don't live in India.) for over thirty years. My father, who was in the wholesale meat business, used to hassle her when she was young but she held her ground, which wasn't always easy to do with him. However she tells me it's never been a difficult lifestyle because she can't stand the thought of eating dead animals. I've never heard it put quite that way by anyone else.

KB said...

PS I forgot to clarify that there's a lot more to my daughters vegetarian stance than the "dead animals" thing. That's really her short answer and I think it saves her from a lot of useless conversation.

Paul WYnn said...

I've seen that Cheeto Jesus and I lost to the bid of 6 dollars! Goonies is a one of my all time favorites.. the fat kid, boy did he grow up. A man that doesn't try to cross paths with a vegetarian is a keeper.. nice one =)

Leah said...

Got the first two movies right. I've watched Stand by Me too but I can't recall that line.

No matter how I try to eliminate meat in our diet, my boys kept begging me not to deprive them because according to them "we're still growing mom. we need our steak."

Thanks for sharing your story. And I love cheetos too... but not as much as I love doritos. xoxo

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Oh what a GREAT title indeed!! I loved reading this post. But it made me realize something funny - while I definately noticed you were a vegetarian and your husband was not, somehow I never really thought od it as weird or even worth asking why hmm :S It's probably just me though. It's so admirable of both you and him not to push one's ideas and beliefs on the other. Great example of a very wise and mature marriage. Seriosuly, I realize so many people, even older couples, are so immature when it comes to relationships. I truly admire couples and people like you, Groppy and your husband!! And I loved KB's story too! So admirable!! Thanks guys for making my beliefs grow even stronger.

Anonymous said...

I think every woman deserves to be married to a chef or a maid! That is sweet that your husband honors you when he cooks. Cheesus...too funny!

nursemyra said...

My 19 year old nephew from Melbourne stayed with me last weekend and I introduced him to lemongrass and chili tofu - he'd never eaten tofu before and I've made a convert out of him!

M L Jassy said...

Blessed are the cheese-makers!