Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Space for Possibilities


This year, I’ve experienced more than my share of death, with three people dear to me having passed on to their next journey. It’s a reality of life, yet I often get too caught up in the minutia of things to take stock of what is real and lasting and what is a mere bump on a side road I will never see again.
Thanks to Cynthia at Running with Letters for this quotable quote in her post, taken from a column she wrote about the holidays in 2004:

“Being still means keeping space open for possibilities.

It means leaving room for moments of wonder.

It means not running the risk of being “too full” to assist in a miracle.”

I’m taking the time over the rest of this week and next to make a plan for possibilities. For my space has become a cluttered collection of time spent on too many projects to make a real difference in any of them. My plan must include space to be less rushed but more deliberate, less worried but more thoughtful in entertaining the endless goings-on in my mind, less influenced but more able to listen with both ears.


This photo was taken on an 11 mile hike through the Myakka Forest a few years back. Talk about possibilities.  On a long road ahead shared with no building of any kind, we walked through several habitats, encountered a shed Indigo snake skin and tracks of all kinds, met no one on the trail and could enjoy silence except for the birdy chatter around us.

Christmas is a time for reflection, gratitude and love, right? We yearn for that one day when nothing is expected of us but togetherness. But it wasn’t meant to be singular in its celebration. If I know the meaning, I hope to make it an every day sort of thing. I’ve particularly enjoyed Julia’s Thank You Project, finding something short and sweet to be thankful for in every day. Short and sweet but meaningful. It's often the shortest proclamations and reflections that have the most meaning, as any great writer (not me!) could tell you. What a lovely inspiration.

Wishes for a Merry Christmas to you and everyone in your life. Thanks for reading.

14 comments:

Leah said...

Christmas is indeed a time for reflections and gratitude.

Thank you for giving me a chance to enter into your world. Thank you for your continued support in my blog although the topics I discuss may not interest you at all. Thanks you for just being there. It means a lot to me knowing that there are people like you, like Julia and all the other good writers out there who took time to visit me.

Merry Christmas and big hugs from Manila.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Aw Groppy, THANK YOU for this post! Not just for my mention, but for the beauty of this post. It's such a warming one, may you and your loved ones have the merriest Christmas!

nursemyra said...

And a very Happy Christmas to you and your family too. Love that image of the shed snake skin

Anonymous said...

Great post...thanks for reminding each of us to reflect and regroup. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

ballast photography said...

It is wonderful to read your reaction to what I posted yesterday--to see what "open spaces" might look like through your lens.

As you so eloquently said--this season isn't "meant to be singular in its celebration..." I love that. I, too, need to make more room for new possibilities--and your snake skin photo was the perfect metaphor for that process.

Thanks for expanding on my thoughts and adding so much to the conversation that should--at least in our own minds--continue all year as we put our energies into things that truly matter.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you too!! And best wishes for a new year filled with many open spaces!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Merry Christmas to you Gropius and I hope you post Christmas pictures of your dog for us!

Marvin said...

Merry Christmas!

M L Jassy said...

A new year is a grand time for shedding of old skins. Let's all emerge groping anew into the light of the new year's daily miracles.

Anonymous said...

As we wind down the year you might want to try this. On a single piece of paper write down the worst things that happened to you in 2009. Then burn it.On another piece of paper write down the good things that will be part of your 2010. Keep it.

Thanks so much for sharing your life and thoughts with us. And that goes for your blogging friends too. May 2010 bring us all to the inner places we want to be.

KB

Poindexter said...

I am grateful to have found your blog and extend my thanks for sharing the beauty from your part of the world because it shines all the way to mine. Christmas is indeed a time to reflect on the possibilities of encountering miracles.

kathryn said...

Happy, Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! This was a lovely post...kind of a modern twist on stopping to count your blessings.

However, I'd like to point out the obvious: where there is a snakeskin, there is probably a snake.

I therefore respectfully suggest you get the hell out of there.

Anonymous said...

Happy to read your lovely, evocative posting, Gropy. Thanks for always looking beyond the obvious and finding the beauty in all that shedded skin around you. Love you! r.l.

bernthis said...

i love that image of the snakeskin. I feel like I'm finally shedding my own after all these years and it feels great. I love this time of year b/c it pushes us to reflect and hopefully strive to be happier, better people.

Happy New Year