Friday, December 4, 2009

Hell or High Water (Maybe Both?): Cedar Key is Still On

In southwest Florida this time of year, one can rely on clear skies with highs in the upper seventies--a combination that produces the best of outdoor adventures. Of course, that's what I was banking on 4 months ago when I planned a girls' weekend in Cedar Key for December 5-6.  And here we are the day before--all eight of us who agreed to spend the weekend on this mystery trek--looking at a weather map that tells us a high of 58 degrees with a 70 percent chance of rain is our destiny there tomorrow.

You see, Cedar Key is an isolated little place off the western bend in Florida. It's cloaked with quaint marshes with tall grasses and old wooden boat houses, a few short streets lined with artsy gift shops hosting art and trinkets, and a fantastic boat tour (well usually). This leaves me certain of one thing: I have no idea what you do there when it's cold and raining.

Sex, alcohol and sleep are the obvious choices. One of those is out for sure, since it's all ladies and no Husband.  The second of those I may partake in, but I've never been much of a drinker.  Give me a glass and a half of wine, and I'm either even crazier than I am under normal conditions, or I'm out like a light.

What will we do given the circumstances? Not sure, but you will surely read all about it on Sunday night. Wish us happy adventures. After all, it's the company that counts. And we have some great people along for the ride.

5 comments:

nursemyra said...

you could play truth or dare

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Have a good trip still! Although I'm sure there are toms of things a ladies only group can do together on a trip like this. How about some wine and a hearty conversation? Or maybe some of the old fashioned and silly cartomancy? Truth or dare would be just fine also ;)

kathryn said...

I'm thinking a bunch of intelligent, carefree ladies should be able to come up with SOMETHING to do for fun! I'd suggest just enough alcohol to make everything funnier and see what you come up with from there.

Hope you've had a great time!

Erica@PLRH said...

I may be freezing up here in the north country but at least I'm dry. I hope you stay dry too!

M L Jassy said...

Easy!! Strip mahjong!

You could also use the weekend as an opportunity to build your alcohol tolerance!