Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It's a Wrap

This Christmas was truly one of the most restful I remember. I left work on Wednesday at 3 pm and was able to completely put it out of my mind for the first time in a while.

I always have a weird sense of angst about presents with the Husb, since he’s getting pickier with age. But this year we gave ourselves the gift of a new bedroom floor instead of doing a traditional exchangeroo. It’s made from recycled materials and looks like wood. We love it. Dog loves it. Her nails make a sophisticated clicking sound as she trots across it in irregular patterns while tossing her new plush sheep and orange monkey toys to herself.

D-man is content with a new iPod nano and cell phone. Although…his thumbs are most likely in need of being Baker Acted at this point. On the way to my parents’ house on the east coast of Florida, he passed on a much needed trip to the toilet because he feared a text might come in that he wouldn’t be able to answer in seconds. I’m trying to go with the flow here. You know, be a good, cool mom. But sweet Jesus, that scares the daylights out of me.

So the pride and joy of many folks’ holiday revolves around the kitchen—that grandiose meal to emerge from hours of peeling, boiling, baking, concocting…whatever people do in that room of the house. Since I’m a self-proclaimed (and family-proclaimed) domestically disabled person, I don’t know much about the kitchen. But I will say that Husb prepared a most delightful Tofurkey dinner for me…mmmmm, so appealing…that I dined on while they consumed their pukey animal protein.



It was amazing. Quite unsurprisingly, I had the whole thing all to myself. You can see how difficult it must have been for them to pass on this Soy Wonder. They were lusting after it for sure.



Now one thing is for sure about Flanders. That dog loves, as in LOVES, a present to open. Doesn’t matter what it was. She literally anticipates each second counting down to the unwrapping, just like a kid. Here’s a “before” shot that sufficiently captures her smug confidence at what was to come:



Here’s a “during” shot:



And after she opened her three presents, plus tearing into Husb’s mother’s electric can opener, plus shredding wrapping from each one into minute pieces, here’s an “after” shot:



Ahhh, doesn’t that just make you want to curl up? My sweet street dog of 10.5 years calls it a wrap after being treated to some goodness for all of her selfless love.

15 comments:

Leah said...

Love that photo of your dog...she looks so contented and so at peace.

Tofurkey is interesting. Love the look on their faces with your dinner on hand. How does it taste?

Erica@PLRH said...

So GLAD I'm allergic to soy protein! But I must say that Husband did an excellent job with adding the veggies and herbs during the roasting.

Flanders is such a sweet girl. I love all the photos of her.

Molly got new jewelry and a bully stick. Is it ok if she isn't a vegetarian?

Erica@PLRH said...

Btw, the texting will ease up in a few days. G-Man went through the same thing when he got unlimited texting a few months ago. I used to get minute-by-minute updates from the other room.

Anonymous said...

I just saw a news clip about Tofurkey. I want to try it!

nursemyra said...

What breed is Flanders? She's a lovely colour

Mixed Reflections said...

Flanders is a pit bull mix. I found her living on the street when she was about 6 months old (the vet guessed). I've had her since 1999 & don't know what I'd do without her. ...Although she's more like Husb and D-Man with her love for meat. At least she's not texting.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I've never heard about Tofurkey before :) The pics of your dogs are hilarious, it's like you can really see what's on her mind on the before shot, and the during one is a bit scary - I'd def. be scary to be around her while she's tearing it all apart lol

Brian Weiner said...

Get ready...my two younger daughters (19 and 16) EASILY use 5,000 - 7,500 texts per month. It is hard to imagine, so get ready...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Love it, my dog loved her gifts, too! Pic of hubby and son...priceless! At least you didn't have to share YOUR food!

Poindexter said...

Seems just like the most perfect Christmas ever! Funny faces, jokes about food and plenty of entertainment from your loving pooch. Flanders is an absolute sweetheart.

I've never had a tofurkey myself, but I'd be willing to try (maybe). Recommend it? I actually kinda like those little celebration roasts...every once in a while.

Great photos!! I always love your photojournalistic flair!

A very happy new year -Dex

M L Jassy said...

Ah, photos reveal Flanders' true self. Whatever it was that mixed with the pitbull did a very good job.

Coetzee the recently Australianised novelist (we got him from South Africa!) has written a lot on pukey animal protein. His heroine character, Elizabeth Costello, had some well said views on the issue.

Unknown said...

Flanders looks like such a sweetheart! :o)

That tofurkey looks like something I'd take a miss on. I'm glad you enjoyed it though... soy products need love too!

kathryn said...

Oh God....I'm loving these photos! Husb and son grimacing at the Tofurkey...Flanders DESTROYING that wrapping paper (and it looks like everything else in the room)...

Fabulous!

I can't believe you had that whole "thing" to yourself. (Gags a little)

nursemyra said...

I think Flanders may be part Staffordshire Terrier

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Aw, your dog opening gifts is just so cute!
I get it, the fear of the thumb disabling related to Constant Texting. We just got back from 4 days in the NH mountains. I was pretty electronically free. But my kids, with the computers and texting, even on ski slopes.....scary stuff.
Happy 2010!!