Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Few Things I've Learned About Del Rio

So tomorrow I'm headed back home to Sarasota/ Bradentucky, and I've gained a few things on my trip:  a cold, a bottle of excellent port and images of a sweet new person.  I've also picked up some choice bits of random trivia about Del Rio I thought I'd share in case you're ever in this part of the country:
  • The smell of skunk is big around here. Frequently, I hear "Damn. Skunk. I smell skunk again."
  • You can pay for your WalMart purchases with Mexican currency, but it really pisses off the Americans who have to wait extra time in line.
  • The border fence doesn't look how I imagined it. Where we stood outside of the car for a photo under the watchful eye of a border patrol agent, it looked more like a wrought iron gate lining a fancy neighborhood. (And I'm exercising silence instead of getting all political on you.)
  • You can totally get out of a ticket exactly how I imagined it. Someone who shall remain nameless didn't see the speed limit in a school zone. After getting hit with a whopper, she walked into the court office and found a man with a big cowboy hat and a cigar, told him she knew his kids, and he knocked her ticket down to less than a third of its original sting.
  • When you visit a border town and you're a vegetarian, your choice is cheese. And chips. That's it. Seriously. We've totally bastardized Mexican food in other parts of the country...and I like that kind of Mexican food.
  • I loved visiting here. What an incredible experience to get to know this tiny little girl. And I saw some beautiful things. But I could never live here.
Photos following tomorrow if I'm not comatosed from the trip.

13 comments:

Leah said...

Show us the photos... I know that despite the skunk smell, you were able to take lots of pictures.

Erica@PLRH said...

Ooooooooooo! Baby pics!

Marvin said...

Show us the larva. ;-)

When I was in Douglas AZ, everyone had a hunted look. It's a major crossing for illegal aliens.

I can't believe the stores accept pesos. I expect their merchant banks charge a nice fee for exchange.

Anonymous said...

cheese and chips for almost a week? no wonder you've got a cold (and is gropy just a wee bit constipated????)
love you and can't wait to see pics and hear all about the desert. r.l.

Poindexter said...

yikes, short on the vegetarian fare I would heartily agree. I love the things that you noticed! Looking forward to those baby pics too...

Arty said...

Your fourth note reminds me of how the system in our country works. It's a little slack and you can get away with a reduced fine also. But I have to wonder, if it's in our gain on the whole. Authority bodies should be a lot more strict.

Thanks also for your visit. You can find them on my Etsy at this link.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pandyamy

nursemyra said...

Ewww... skunk! I smelt that once in New Mexico.... *shudder*

Uncommon Blonde said...

We want pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the cold and the skunk smell, however, the port sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your return to the place where the sunshine and citrus should help banish that cold. Need any help with the port?

KB

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Yes, show us the pics!

M L Jassy said...

Much as I love the reproduced amongst us, I'd rather see pics of the border fence than the wee mite, bewt as the darling is. It'd seem rational to set up some healthy trade and exchange practices across the border, in the same way that legalising bad shit makes it seem less bad and then more workable in society: imagine how well things could go if the authorities from both sides worked together to ignore stuff about national sovreignty and work for the welfare of the stugglers on BOTH sides of the fence. While fences do make good neighbours, I agree, mostly, before we are neighbours we are humans, and sharing has only made us stronger, not weaker.

Guys, you beautiful strapping and large-lunged Americans, we've got this thing down here, it's called Multiculturalism. It means you ignore how Asian or African or Latino someone looks and you fix the system to ensure they'll figure out a legal way to contribute to the economy.

A final note on this pleasant ramble down the path which we should all fear to tread, that of discussion on someone else's ideally apolitical baby-blog post; as teacher of da yoof, yesterday saw our graduation results. Some of the best were from children of 'boat people', Vietnamese families who sailed through sharks to get down here to Oz.

I'm so glad our borders became porous, just for a while in the 70s, to let their parents in.

Them's my 2 cents, and now let's all go caroling.

Mixed Reflections said...

Mitzi, honestly I couldn't agree more. Thanks for coming out with it.

I tread lightly on Gropius not because I feel odd about speaking my mind, but because I feel torn in not wanting to disrespect a family member who believes so strongly in what he is doing.


Oddly, it's been quite instructive for me, since it's so easy to consider those who are not as liberal to be plain mean, redneck or not conscious. I think we all need to understand one another's point of view without feeling hostile toward it. Still, that's easier when you're more alert to embracing other cultures, beliefs and people. For the love of Pete, we're so much more alike than different.