Monday, December 7, 2009

My favorite psychological experiments

I stumbled upon an interesting link today on Twitter: a blog posting about how other people's expectations control us.  I was a little disappointed in what I found (nothing completely new there), but it did lead me to a more intriguing post describing 10 weird psychological studies. "Vote for your favorite!"  Hmmm...  Although I don't have a lot of extra time for something like this, it's degree of strangeness-in-the-ordinary is, shall we say, soooo Gropius.

There are plenty of "psychological" mini-experiments I've conducted over the ages with good friends and family (trusted parties who know that deep down, I'm not really a freak). Most of them amount to having a strange sense of humor and enjoying playfulness at strange times. In my professional life, it's been particularly interesting to observe repeating non-scientific psychological phenomenon, like:
  • How easy it is for one freaking person in a bad mood to upset everyone, yet it's much harder to turn a sour group of people into a good spirited one. What the hell is that all about?
  • Silence. It's the easiest way to make someone uncomfortable. Isn't that crazy--how hard it is for us to accept a period of no talking. I wish we could get used to less chatter. There would be more room for reasonable, well formed thought.
  • The mental herd. If someone is proclaimed by enough people (or the right person) to be the most talented gift to this green earth, everyone sees his/her brilliance. Yet the moment that person falls from graces--again with the larger crowd or with the right person proclaiming it first--his/her worthiness diminishes into a bottomless hole with the larger herd. I've seen it happen regularly in the charitable social scene.
What nuggets of good citizen science psychology will you share? Say that three times fast.

By the way, when it comes to how other people's expectations control us, I'm much more likely to focus on being the opposite of someone's expectations if those expectations are mediocre or bad. Are you the same? That little Gropius rebel in all of us...

8 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I will rebel against any expectations at all. I just can't stand being told what to do. I'm awful that way, always have been.

It's true about the one bad apple in the bunch. It can ruin the day for everyone!

Marvin said...

Milgram's authority experiments were the most fun, I think. Making a test subject think he's shocking someone to death based on a "doctor's" orders. Very cool.

kathryn said...

Oh, yeah....that rebel-syndrome. I've got that BAD. I've never appreciated being boxed in or labeled, but I don't want lots of (negative) attention either.

Only the GOOD attention.

That's normal...right??

M L Jassy said...

I like having good expectations to live up to. Then I muddle along and create a few of my own just to keep myself interested. I love the silence experiment. Since beginning teaching I enjoy being quiet and simply listening. It is really amazing when you start to hear what folk are not saying.

Anonymous said...

So true...I think we all have a little rebel in us when it comes to expectations.

Erica@PLRH said...

I'm so mentally tired that I can barely form coherent sentences. I'll have to check back later when I can understand what you wrote.

PS - I couldn't even get the word verification right on the first try.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Well, not sure about the level of 'psychologicity' of the following but I really love to respond with outstanding politeness and charm to rude remarks - people are always taken aback and never seem to know what to say! LOL The moment is so precious haha They look like you've just insulted them in the rudest way possible yet you've been so nice... They really don't know what to do and watching them trying to come up with something is priceless! Esp. entertainign when it happens, say, in an elevator - they can't escape you right away and have to stand there all shocked right in front of you - and you're supposed to stare at them gently with a huge kind smile on your face haha Hey, it even works when talking on the phone! :)

bernthis said...

am I a little bit rebellious you ask? I am a lot of rebellious. That silent one is spot on, they all are but that is my favorite