Saturday, September 5, 2009

Now the Teacher Thinks I'm a Freak


We're really excited about D-Man's world geography class this year--it's actually a bit more like a current world events course. His teacher uses unconventional teaching methods and really gets the students charged up about important issues shaping the people and places in this not so unconnected world of ours.

So of course we're eager to do what ever we can to show Teach how, at home, we encourage knowledge and awareness of things far beyond the back doors in America.


Today Teach was discussing the Everglades, and when she asked the class to name the unique flora and fauna there, D-Man raised his hand to contribute an answer that will forever frame me unfavorably in the first impressions of Teach. The first part of his answer was: "The Skunk Ape."
HE THEN proceeded to tell the class about how "my mother [that's me] once made a trip to the Everglades just to visit this place all about the skunk ape that also teaches people about it."


Unfortunately, that story is true. And it was a total joke of a trip--I REPEAT, it was a fun trip. AND, although I would never admit this in certain company, yes, I know the skunk ape does not exist. I really do. I have never thought for one moment it exists. (But Big Foot, it could be a different story...)

Um. I'm pretty embarrassed. And it's one of those things that I would only make worse with that little phone call I considered:
  • "Ahhh, Teach, this is D-Man's mother. I just wanted to call and...well anyway, about that Skunk Ape thing my son mentioned...I just didn't want you to think...I mean, I'm really not crazy...It was more like a joke..."
Yeah. That might make things slightly worse.

2 comments:

thelogan said...

That is AWESOME! This made my morning!

Erica@PLRH said...

I knew that Skunk ape story would come back to haunt you.

I could be worse... I once tola a priest that I got my red hair from the milkman. Try getting out of that one!