Saturday, September 12, 2009

The $5 Non-Science Germ-O-Rama

I honestly don't know what I thought when I suggested we go to $5 admission Saturday at the Museum of Science and Industry, when it also happened to be raining like a monsoon and past noon.

Yes, nearly every person with at least 3 kids from Tampa Bay and beyond was there. Yes, it was a complete germ-o-rama. And yes, it felt more like an arcade than a science museum.

Running, yelling from all sides. On each and every "hands-on" exhibit, rampant knob turning, trigger-finger button pressing, wheel spinning and incessant screen tapping. Of course, to my horror--and I assume to every staff member's horror--absolutely no reading or learning whatsoever was taking place. Never mind the human body, magnetism, space science or earth science which these exhibits were supposed to convey.

I need a stress massage after this experience. And a hot, anti-bacterial shower. And someone to wipe the last 3 hours from my memory. Except for the part about how I never want to go back there again under these conditions. (Not to give you the wrong idea; it is most likely a very cool place on different sort of day.) On the bright side, I can now walk in the backyard without drowning. The rain must have slowed down during our time in the Romper Room.

1 comment:

Erica@PLRH said...

I gave up on hands-on science museums years ago for all those reasons. Homemade science experiments are so much more fun.